Chinese censors incinerate entire run of a kickstarted Call of Cthulhu RPG sourcebook

I suppose. One of them is a deceitful, terrifying monster that uses mind control to strike fear into the hearts of people around the globe, captures and torments children for the entertainment of his followers, and spews filth, destruction, and hate wherever he goes.

The other one doesn’t answer to Putin.

Well we can’t just bring them back to the US for those very same reasons.

3 Likes

Maybe the censor is actually a big Lovecraft fan and in an overzealous moment of LARPing frenzy declared that all books needed to be burned as the only way to keep the secrets-man-was-not-meant-to-know from getting out?

4 Likes

Good idea. Posted from my brain.

1 Like

If they did the printing in the good ol’ USA, no problems.

There’s plenty of hungry smaller run print shops left, though the larger to medium printing industry is being consolidated quickly.

I am curious if these guys got their money back, or if they got burned with the books

1 Like

Maybe it just made them insane.

1 Like

And in doing so, made them even greater.

Personally, none of the above. I would say greed is the ultimate evil, closely followed by complacency.

From the video, he said they got their deposit back, and had been in the process of finalizing payment, so I would assume they still have the money.

The problem is, as hungry as they may be, paper and ink costs them what it costs, and if they could compete successfully with China, they wouldn’t be hungry.

I imagine that the company he’s talking about going with now will have to cut a great deal to even come close, and it still may end up costing them more than they planned.

2 Likes

This topic is not about your dick.

6 Likes

Nice of you to join us, but not so nice how. Unless this was your attempt at portraying someone who lost a load of SAN points, then it’s misplaced parody.

No, really, be nice here. Crude insults are just not interesting.

2 Likes

Hey! I’ve built a little print shop in my garage and picked up an ABdick 360 offset duplicator to print up comics and zines for me and my friends. I’d love to trade notes sometime! Not sure if it’s okay to trade emails or something, but I’d love to get a convo going about all things offset!

And here I thought my experience running a A.B. Dick 360CD printing press back in the 80s was utterly obsolete!

1 Like

Content is irrelevant. Someone didn’t get their bribe.

2 Likes

I find it very strange that no one has pointed out that the Sassoon family named in the title (ancestors of the famous hairdresser) were a major participant in the Opium trade in China; & while they were also philanthropically-minded, it seems likely that Chinese history does not look upon them fondly (to put it mildly).

Even just the title alone could easily have triggered the censor’s reaction, moreso if the book had a nuanced portrayal of the family in question rather than just demonizing them.

com-add-text%20(3)

4 Likes

Every single post could potentially start with this same phrase, and yet most of them do not.

Or maybe stop sending your business to a Communist dictatorship?

Unsurprising, though still unfortunate.

The censors have definitely ramped up since the current trade war has kicked into high gear. We’ve had issues with REPRINTS of previously printed materials getting held up by censors at the end of production (And we’re talking 12th and 13th printings as well.)

In response to the “just don’t print in China” stuff, it’s a significant factor in production costs. It’s generally far less expensive to print in China and have stuff sent back over by boat and, depending on the printer you partner with, also produce a higher quality product. I’m not surprised at all that an independent company found a Chinese printer to be the most affordable option. Where they probably got boned is not getting a contentious content review through in time. They may have been able to still successfully print and distribute the materials, AFTER spending more on fees for the necessary licensing.

1 Like

Said qualities also apply to Chinese Imperial dragons, one wonders if they’d censor foreign books featuring said dragons, like R A MacAvoy’s Tea With The Black Dragon

1 Like