Chinese government releases new guidelines for science fiction

Xi Jinping Thought

10 Likes

Wouldn’t it be ironic if they made a knock off of Star Trek and it became better Trek than the current offerings?

2 Likes

There’s tons of jingoism in American films, I find it usually eyeroll worthy since i was not raised in the US so the over the top patriotic sentiment always sticks out like a sore thumb to me. However i wouldn’t be surprised or begrudge other countries doing the same with their own films and content.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty low bar

5 Likes
1 Like

Chinese sci-fi films should thus portray China in a positive light as a technologically advanced nation.

(Is that China gov double-speak for having their sci-fi somehow legitimize illegal technology transfer?)

2 Likes

Isn’t that The Orville?

4 Likes

AKA the Little Gold Book (subtitle: That’s What Xi Said).

5 Likes

I remember reading a short story translated from the Russian, probably in the 60s, in which a Soviet spaceship encounters an alien craft. Just before they are about to meet the occupants face to face, one of the characters expresses some nervousness, and another one reassures him that any civilization advanced enough to have space travel must logically be a communist one, and therefore there is no possibility of conflict.

8 Likes

AKA:

5 Likes

What does that have to do with Communism?

In Kommunist Khitai, fiction sciences YOU.

1 Like

Then again, what does Xi Jinping?

7 Likes

True, but Daoism is even further afield.

3 Likes

Yeah, but it’s the whole Xi looks like Winnie the Pooh thing, remember?

I’m not certain if there are any other Pooh-related books that touch on Chinese culture, so I guess The Tao of Pooh is what one goes with…

8 Likes

I guess I’m not on board with clutching pearls over literally all of Chinese culture because Xi has obvious authoritarian tendencies… :woman_shrugging: So does our current president, does that negate or indict all of western culture?

Well, I just took it as continuing the joke that Xi=Pooh which apparently disturbs him. I’m ok with poking fun at him for this. I didn’t take it as mocking Daoism.

7 Likes

"As soon as communism is known by the world as communism, it becomes totalitarianism.
As soon as virtue is being known as something good, it becomes capitalism.
Therefore being and non-being give birth to each other."

The Ching of Jinping, Chapter Two.

2 Likes

oh, bother

3 Likes

I guess we can leave that up to @Purplecat to clarify then, although I didn’t see that referenced up thread?

But far too often for my tastes, these threads on China tend to veer too closely into yellow peril territory for my taste.

3 Likes