Chinese jaywalkers are identified and shamed by facial recognition, and now they'll get warnings over text message

This scares the sh!t out of me.

Facial Recognition along with profiling via big data and apps and smartphones and online government systems we are forced to use, and banks etc. etc.

All this technology gives governments and corporations such a huge power over the people… it’s frightening. Add to this, the increasing tech in ML and AI will make it even more scalable and allow for greater scrutiny and sophistication.

Before too long, I expect that we will all be like little ants serving the hive to make money and power for the elite who will be like fat kids with magnifying glasses to use at their discretion. When I say before too long… it is already happening. What to do!

2 Likes

Let them move to NYC, where jaywalkers are welcome. Cops would feel insulted enforcing a jaywalking law.

That’s a perfect example of why Sesame Credit doesn’t scare me as much as it does @Jujikatami_Man. The concept is scary enough, but it’s not a given that China will be able to pull off social engineering on that scale. The system they’re trying to build can be gamed, and it can have profound unintended social consequences.

MMORPGs are not known for their honest fair play and healthy interpersonal dynamics. What idiot would want to turn their country into one?

Missed my cue, dammit!

2 Likes

I guess when a lot of people think about what China is doing with “social scores” they think of 1984. They think of an omnipotent manipulator who doesn’t make mistakes, and they are scared of that level of oppression.

I think about a series of colossal fuck ups and millions of petty corruptions. I know China has a very different culture, and maybe I shouldn’t project North American incompetence onto them, but it just seems impossible to actually implement 1984. It’s just that you can really fuck a lot of things up by trying.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.