Chinese social media went a-flutter at this photo of an apparent App Store clickfarmer

unlike android devices, iPhones require sim cards in order to be “activated” before they can be used. it has to be a valid sim, but not one that is active, just recognized, BUT if your phone is locked to a carrier it had to be a sim from that carrier. android phones have no such BS.

there are a few workarounds, but i wasn’t successful with any of them, so i tracked down an old sim for my old iphone.

ah, beat me to the answer… :+1:

1 Like

You are assuming they buy the phones at store value, I assume you can get really cheap iPhones with a small army of crackheads pickpocketing them in exchange for the next fix.

3 Likes

Hopefully there will be a series of art-installation leaning variants where she can work without the full parka and boots and/or weave glass fiber duvet covers or something leaning kinesthetic from ergonomic. Here I thought you linked the sh*t job CMM cycle tutorial.

2 Likes

Or just buy beat up used ones off ebay. It’s amazing the discount a cosmetically damaged apple device gets compared to a pretty one.

Sorry, I did not realize “viral” meant “social media a-flutter.” I am old, you see.

1 Like

Aflutter is a weird word

3 Likes

Or you can just use an ipod touch which is basically an iphone without the phone. Cheapest version is $200 retail. They even run ios 10.

It’s amazing to me that app makers are willing to pay the fees that support even that kind of endeavor, though.

And yet you incessantly stand on your head—
Do you think, at your age, it is right?

5 Likes

Well, she’s had some weird roles.

2 Likes

The phones are probably stolen ones. With no sims or contracts needed.
Note how they all look different meaning they weren’t bought on bulk, some look more used than others.
This is not a legit business after all.

4 Likes

An IOS tapfarm would be smart to buy a bunch of grade C used Ipod touches with ugly cosmetic damage for ~$100 each, less if they are lucky.

I dont think the devices in the photo are idevices - they look more like a bunch of android tablets, nice and cheap even when bought new.

They all look to be all the same size, it’s the cases that are different. Buy a batch of ultra cheap no name tablets, buy a boxful of assorted cases and throw them on. Lots cheaper and safer than buying a ton of stolen phones. Also guarantees that every device can run the apps you are farming, as everything will be running the same version of android and have the same hardware.

The cases may be on there to help protect the devices from damage. Accidentally dropped devices in an operation like this is probably a nontrivial expense that the poor clickfarmer is expected to pay for.

Twitterpated might be more appropriate in this case…

3 Likes

whoo, after that, I need to get my mind out of a gutter…

Becoming a big hit and getting a lot of installs can make a lot of money for a developer especially if you’re running both free-to-play whale hunting and ads so you catch decent revenue off of everyone. A simple game like flappy bird with just ads made, by some estimates that may be way off base admittedly, conservatively 1-2 million dollars and that’s if the dev made only a few cents off of each download.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.