Chinese wives, denied legal rights, hire "mistress dispellers" to keep their marriages intact

Yes why don’t we simply do away with gender inequality? We can pretend it never existed at all!

8 Likes

I don’t know, but my guess is that, like everywhere else, the crime of a man being killed will be investigated much more thoroughly than when it’s ‘just’ a woman.

7 Likes

Fertile ground for hitmen.

1 Like

Well, that and the fact that it’s always the fault of an evil temptress when a weak, innocent man falls victim to his animal appetites…

5 Likes

Wow, aren’t you just a bundle of joy with all the answers! :frowning:

4 Likes

I went to high school with a girl from such a family. The motivations were not religious, but financial. She showed me her prom pictures, and at first I thought she had some taken with her father (he was wearing a business suit, not a tux). When she told me that was her date, I had to work hard to keep a straight face. This man was in his 30s or 40s, balding, and not in good shape.

I asked if her mother liked him, since she also appeared in a few of the shots. My classmate told me that her mother couldn’t wait for her to marry this guy - so that he could take care of them. Her mother was divorced, and struggling to raise three children alone. All I could think was how she was perfectly happy to see her daughter marry someone old enough to be her father, just because he could provide for the entire family. If my classmate went through with it, had children, and then been abandoned or divorced like her mother there would be another generation with the same problem. We did not live in an area where you could earn a lot if your education ended at high school.

11 Likes

I quite like the system that a lot of my extended family has had to marriage - Just live with the other person for 10+ years and if you can last that long a piece of paper probably isn’t going to change the outcome too much. I’m pretty sure my sister only ended up marrying because she was ready to have kids and marriage simplified some of the hoops they’d have to jump through to get tax breaks and government supplemented childcare. That was a fair few years ago though, before the UK decided to slowly implode, so who knows if any more of the family will bother.

Ditto, although my timeframe was shorter. I see people my age saying “Getting married was a huge change,” and I can’t help but think, it really shouldn’t be.

Note: my comment is specifically in reference to marriage in the US in a relatively non-religious community.

1 Like

Yes. The wild poppies will bloom.

1 Like

That is all.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.