"Chocolate breakthrough" reported by Swiss scientists

Jr is a better mover than I expected; or, maybe, my standards are low?

I thought that the difficulty lay in stopping things getting in to goats?

Thank you, I’d not heard that before, and it was smashing.

“I hate those Reeces to pieces”.

tumblr_osipzzHtMe1wrbarro1_540

10 Likes

When I experimented with making chocolate from cacao pods (with some success, but did not taste as good store bought chocolate), I noticed how sweet this fruit juice is, and wondered why it wasn’t used in the chocolate. I put some in, thinking it could be used instead of sugar, and the liquid kind of made things wonky, so I bet it’s this aspect that had to be worked out. Check out my using the liquid here.

Check out the whole process of making chocolate from scratch for first time here, second time here. I had never thought of chocolate as having a complex fruity flavor (it was always just, you know, chocolate), until I did this chocolate making experiment. You can really notice when it stops smelling like fruit and starts actually smelling like chocolate. I also never knew fermentation was part of the process until I did this. I recommend this, it was pretty fun (cacao pods can be ordered and shipped to you).

13 Likes

But when do you add the lead and cadmium?

10 Likes

In fact, in Ghana the waste product of the cocoa bean husk that was useless is now found to make an incredible soap.

I swear by this soap, it’s absolute magic for skin. You’ll find it on in the book amazon interwebs by searching “African Black Soap”. I was thrilled that it is made with soap and waste products (Plaintain peel ash is the other key ingredient) but now the Swiss will want it too I guess.

We should all be happy that they found this, and not some new use for Oil.

11 Likes

The image interrupts this sentence at the perfect point.

6 Likes

Will implementing this at scale bring the cost of chocolate down? I hope so, but I’m sketical.

1 Like

Countdown to this being the next latest-and-greatest health supplement that they don’t want you to know about.

2 Likes

And here I was thinking this new “sustainable” practice would cut down the carbon footprint of chocolate production by sourcing the sweetener at the same location as the cocoa…

Nile Red has a good video on his attempt to make chocolate from raw cocoa beans. He didn’t have much knowledge of the process so wasn’t sure if the pulp should be used or not, so he tried using it as well as the beans. I’m certain that he wasn’t the first, nor are the Swiss.

2 Likes

Ther is a podcast by Alexander sharscar (spelling) called “how we fix this” on episode two they discus making chocolate without any use of Cocoa at all, this year I also went to a store in las Vegas that used cactus plants to make chocolates. Check out the podcast it’s very interesting stuff!!

2 Likes

hmmmmm, chocolate…

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

3 Likes

My idea of a chocolate breakthrough — the one that matters to me — is when your teeth break through that bar and a nice chunk gets into your mouth.

3 Likes

In a more just world the countries supplying the chocolate would be the most wealthy.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Damn. I was hoping for something like this:

chocolate-infinite

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.