Chris Pratt destroys gorgeous, historic mid-century modern house to build a gaudy mansion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/21/chris-pratt-destroys-gorgeous-historic-mid-century-modern-house-to-build-a-gaudy-mansion.html

10 Likes

Get Out Of Here March Madness GIF by Basketball Madness

18 Likes

At least someone with real taste and appreciation of history documented the beautiful mid-century house before the two Hollywood Philistines razed it.

I’m betting the new house will have at least one “Live, Laugh, Love” sign prominently posted.

31 Likes

I’ve been giving this idiot the side eye ever since he divorced Anna Faris.

I guess rich conservative Christians are required to McMansion.

23 Likes

Another case of rich people role playing off-griders/homesteaders/farmers.

Rich people pretending to be poor/adopting a lower middle class aesthetic, upper middle class people buying expensive ass clothes/cars/jewelry to try to stave off their fears of looking poor and actual poor people being looked down on for living within their means. Toxic as fuck.

14 Likes

What a Pratt

21 Likes

Truly the worst Chris in Hollywood.

13 Likes

15,000 sq ft: I’ll bet a lot of us work in businesses smaller than that.

14 Likes

Just a reminder, if you own a historic house, and want it to remain that way, get it on a registry to protect it. Yes, your property will be forever encumbered, can’t be remodeled or added onto without permission, and that will impact its market value and your ability to borrow against it, but . . . this sort of destruction of history becomes much, much harder to pull off, and when it does happen there’s a good chance the destroyers will be forced by the courts to rebuild as it was.

Note that in California, a property can be listed by a non-owner, but not over the owners objections, so if you really hate the idea of a local landmark disappearing, it may be up to you to start the process.

20 Likes

I’m sorry, but I don’t find this house attractive or one that would meet the needs of living in the 21st Century. Most of the post-WWII architecture was cheaply built, in quantity, to quickly meet the needs of the millions of returning veterans. That horrible architecture trend continued into the '70s. My childhood home was built in 1948 and didn’t fit in the 21st Century, both architecturally and in meeting today’s lifestyle. After my father’s passing, it was sold and subsequently completely demolished, and I didn’t shed a single tear for its demise. There was nothing architecturally about that house, or this home Pratt purchased that was worth preserving.

11 Likes

are you sure canadian GIF by CBC

This wasn’t a mass-produced piece of suburbia. That you fail to get over that bar in your diatribe kinda sinks the rest of it.

40 Likes

So we only should protect what YOU find to be aesthetically pleasing… got it.

23 Likes

Rich people are gonna rich. This is LA where nothing is truly historic.

It is a gorgeous house but not everyone is into mid-century modern architecture and they paid $12M for the property so it’s not like they scammed it out from under someone or thumbed their noses at the preservation board.

There are so many other rich people doing far more odious things to destroy the world it’s hard to feel outraged over this. Go to any upscale area of any city in America where all the rich people congregate and you find countless examples of classic, period homes being razed at the whims of the nouveau riche.

8 Likes

Whether mass-produced or otherwise, it’s not attractive, not designed to meet the needs of today’s lifestyle, and not worth saving architecturally. That’s true of nearly all the architecture of that era.

7 Likes

the dude your opinion GIF

26 Likes

Unfortunately the only opinions that matter belong to the people who own the property.

4 Likes

Does the before house remind anyone else of the house used in Bottle Rocket?

1 Like

Yet another reason I’ve moved from the US to places that don’t take property rights quite so seriously.

3 Likes

Of course, it’s my opinion, and this is the comment section where we express our opinions, even opinions that differ from yours!

7 Likes

Who are you to make pronouncement about what’s attractive or not?
And I have no idea what you mean by the term "today’s lifestyle? What a silly, meaningless buzzword.

14 Likes