Chuck Jones' 9 rules for writing Road Runner stories

I see those cartoons as a brilliant reversal where the protagonist is the bad guy.

6 Likes

depends on your particular kinks.

1 Like

Blasphemy.

I liked Road Runner just fine as a kid, I think everyone can agree on the repetitiveness of it though.

I will say it was elevated to absolute perfection in Farscape: Revenging Angel…

2 Likes

Living here in roadrunner country, I assure you that roadrunners run across the road, not along the road.

Also, once I spotted both a coyote and a roadrunner while driving down the mountain from Kitt Peak, where I work on a telescope. But they weren’t in the same frame.

6 Likes
5 Likes

3 possible reasons the Coyote can afford all those nifty gadgets from Acme

1. Reverse mortgage on his warren
  2. Massive credit card debt
  3. He gets them for free as a product tester.
11 Likes

I never disliked the shorts as a kid but they weren’t my favorite either. Definitely they would’ve been more interesting if they didn’t have to involve both characters all the time, having an episode with just the coyote doing something else or meeting another character would’ve been neat (same with the roadrunner). That would have naturally opened up opportunities for different stories and gags to happen.

1 Like

35 Likes

Wile E. Coyote speaks (!!!) at 1:05… and at 1:36

8 Likes

Oh yes:

8 Likes

Good stuff doesn’t happen by accident - at least not consistently. Having rules and guidelines like this is how you keep it focused and good.

5 Likes

There was at least one Bugs/Coyote crossover, and natch Bugs got the better of the Coyote. The Coyote actually spoke in that one, and explained the virtues of the Roadrunner as a multi-course meal. Also, “Hello - my name is Mud.” and a plethora of other snappy banter.
eta: @Lexicat beat me to it!

14 Likes

We might have been adults but the first time my wife and I saw a real live roadrunner in AZ we squeed like children.

8 Likes

Yup Pretty much

1 Like

If I recall Chuck Amok correctly, Termite Terrace is where the brainstorm originated. Back in the 1930s, Looney Tunes story conferences were places where everyone could add a comment or possibility as long as there were NO NEGATIVES for previous comments and possibilities. Everyone contributed and then the writer and director would take the notes and produce a cartoon.

Directed anarchy was the rule behind and on the screen for Warner Brothers cartoons.

5 Likes

I vaguely remember that, but seems like those kinds of divergence from the usual plot still mostly followed the set up anyway. Why can’t Wil E Coyote have an episode where he’s shipwrecked with Daffy Duck and he’s gotta use his prowess to get off the island? Or him meeting Marvin The Martian and he shows him up by out performing his futuristic inventions with kludged together ones, etc.

I think both the coyote and the roadrunner are interesting and fun characters (mostly the coyote for me) and would like to see different kinds of stories around them once in a while besides a groundhog day of violence & failure

3 Likes

And they actually can fly, at least enough to get up in a tree to avoid a threat. They just almost never bother. They can usually outrun or outmaneuver other creatures.

I enjoyed the hell out of the roadrunner cartoons and still do, but knowing what real roadrunners are like makes me a little less sympathetic. Roadrunners are vicious, merciless predators. They are the velociraptors of their small-scale world.

4 Likes

Is there an episode where the Coyote paints a tunnel like Bob Ross would?

5 Likes

I think, despite the violence, those cartoons are better for kids than the marketing-campaign trash that passes for cartoons these days. Because those cartoons showed that actions had consequences. When Wiley did something he shouldn’t, he suffered. There actually was a moral lesson in watching his actions come back to bite him. And they conveyed that message in a way that children could understand.

12 Likes