The seven-decade success of Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner

Originally published at: The seven-decade success of Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The series is an extraordinary balance of Jones’s and Maltese’s wildly chaotic sense of humour (they must have been constantly howling with laughter scripting the shorts) with very strict rules and constraints (e.g. the SW desert setting, Acme being the only vendor, the lack of spoken dialogue). The censors in the late 80s onward were idiots to mess with the first factor.

9 Likes

Such longevity, that it’s being made into a movie… Wile E. Coyote (2023) - IMDb

4 Likes

I was in Albuquerque a few days ago and saw them filming that movie. They created this great hotel sign just for the film.

12 Likes

Falling anvils were my favorite.

5 Likes

14 Likes

God, I hope it doesn’t come out like the Bullwinkle movie! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, and I REALLY hope it doesn’t come out like the Banana Splits movie! :scream:

4 Likes

These cartoons are just advertisements for ACME products! Wake up sheeple!

14 Likes

For decades I’ve always thought it was “Meep Meep”.

Still, my fave Saturday morning fix.

3 Likes

Wyle E. Coyote has long been my role model. In grad school, I created a body of artwork around a fictitious company PRACTICALLY ACME. It examined what if ACME had produced practical jokes like those found in the Johnson Smith catalog. Do you know how hard it was to find a bale of excelsior?

7 Likes

All the animals in our extended family, including the ape children, are trained to get out of the way promptly when we say “beep beep”… :grin:

3 Likes

These cartoons are one of the reason why Chuck ones is one of my favorite animators. The comedic timing in them is absultely perfect.

3 Likes

Sure they’re not ads created by a competitor?

1 Like

It’s hard to match the magic of the original show, but I thought that some of the Ralph Wolf / Sam Sheepdog shorts were pretty good even though they did have a small bit of dialogue. (Mostly just the “Mornin’ Sam” “Mornin’ Ralph” greetings when they clocked in.). I liked the idea that the characters were just professionals trying to do their jobs, with no personal grudges held.

Also, with the first episode being created in 1953, the show is nearly as old as the other one.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.