Chuck Klosterman on space rock

What is the difference between Space Rock and Psychedelic Rock?

2 Likes

Oh - and I forgot to add this. Doh! Obvious, really.

12 Likes

No list is complete without:

13 Likes

About 5 IQ points. :wink:

The question was addressed awhile back at the Prog Lounge. Possibilities:

1 instrumentation - more electronic stuff for space, more hard-edge fried guitar tones for psych
2 concept (obviously) worn on album sleeves…
3 time of origin - psych is a v 60s thing while space seems to have emerged from 70s onwards…
4 drug of choice??

6 Likes

Minor quibble about Ozzy’s vocals and the Hammond Organ – his voice was run through a Leslie-type speaker, a device with a rotating baffle which produces its distinctive doppler and chorus effects.

For too much info:
Leslie Speaker (Wikipedia)

7 Likes

I’m rather fond of this, space rock or not.

And I’ll give props to anyone who has beaten it…
2 Likes

Actually, Chuck, what you’re talking about is outer space. Space is much more than that, and it just so happens that literally all sound occurs in space.

Anyway, here’s a shout-out to Space Disco!

12 Likes

I would be remiss if I didn’t also push the great early 90’s lofi space rock band Flying Saucer Attack here

3 Likes

How about the Stones 2000 Light Years from Home? Melotron but not synth

3 Likes

More Sammy Hagar in space:

“Space and tiiiime makin’ love”, lol

2 Likes

I was talked into seeing them do DSOTM in Cincinnati in 1973 (as a freshman in college). I was still mourning the death of Duane Allman and reveling in Derek and the Dominos, so I was not that impressed, sadly. I was more of a blues person at that point. I actually fell asleep during one of the quieter parts, believe it or not! When you are young, opportunity lasts forever and nobody dies, and you can always see them again, right?

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I heard they had a space program
When they sing you can’t hear, there’s no air
Sometimes I think I kind of like that and
Other times I think I’m already there

1 Like

Not surprising how the specific sounds of the genre arose. As Klosterman’s quote about soundless (outer) space hints at, space in the popular imagination has been conflated with vast, dark spaces here on Earth. Caves, valleys and canyons at night, etc. Hence, the echoic, reverberating effects.

3 Likes

Hawkwind album cover in the post but no link to the music?

Here are a couple of songs from Space Ritual (era):
Spoken word/ambient:

And with Lemmy on bass

6 Likes

I thought that was just Nichelle Nichols.

She was a broadway musical singer before doing Star Trek, wasn’t she?

EDIT: apparently it was a singer named Loulie Jean Norman

2 Likes

Or you can go for something less Rock and just electronic/ambient:

Took issue with the same claim. Don’t think it was NN but it seems it was not an Ondes Martenot. “Most famously used” seems a bit bold… https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/biggest-star-trek-secret-past-50-years-musical-one/amp/

Actually the more I dig the less I’m sure… but here’s some more links.

Talk:Ondes Martenot - Wikipedia?

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2009/oct/12/ondes-martenot

1 Like