Chunk of gallium melts in your hand

Crazy and sad.

Done as requested. You lucked out by catching me not sleeping yet. Early day tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank you! As a favor back, & in the Maker spirit, I disassembled a Swiffer today and scavenged a nice micro switch, battery leads and wire, a little motor and this cool one way valve attached to a syringe needle, which was for letting the air back into the cleaning fluid bottle after it squirted out onto the floor. Pretty cool takedown.

1 Like

Sends an absolute chill down my neck and spine. All it would take is some of that stuff seeping into the hull. Bwwwwweeeweweww.

2 Likes

Gallium: It melts in your mouth and in your hand!

6 Likes

My understanding was that it was a US federal offense to take gallium on an aircraft. I donā€™t have a reference, so Iā€™ll just say ā€œthe internet told me.ā€ :wink:

2 Likes

Is gallium a catalyser or is it ā€œused upā€ when reacting with aluminium (too lazy to look it up)?

I donā€™t know. Iā€™m a data nerd not a physical sciences weirdo. Shaddack, Meeshak, or Abednego, care to shed light here?

Edit. Wait. @Mindysan33!!! Iā€™m pressing the Mindy button.

Iā€™d dare to. But Iā€™d package it in a small pipebomb-like steel container that it would not escape from even in a plane crash. (Todo: check if gallium wets and embrittles ferrous alloys.)

It dissolves in the aluminium. (It also breaks the passivation so you can react the aluminium off with water and recover the less reactive gallium. (I think. Would have to check.)

I have problems with my delta 3d printer. The head waves along the z-axis during horizontal travels. I am taking more naps than grampa Simpson these days which interferes with work and slows it down but will try to address it.

Very interesting, thanks!

Just donā€™t take it on a planeā€¦ seriously gallium amalgams with aluminium are scary:

For much the same reason, mercury is banned from aircraft.

1 Like

Sounds like misconfig in the firmware. If itā€™s not a physical defect, Iā€™d start playing there because it sounds like 1 or 2 motors are traveling at different rates that the other(s). I mention physical defects because those vertical bearings can sometimes be sticky so if you have one sticky one but the motors are calibrated fine then you can still have an issue. Upshot; one of these things is not like the other.

1 Like

Gallium seems alright to fiddle with a bit, but all the talk of dangerous substances reminded me of Derek Loweā€™s Things I Wonā€™t Work With series.

A bit from his piece on peroxides:

But I have to admit, Iā€™d never thought much about the next analog of hydrogen peroxide. Instead of having two oxygens in there, why not three: HOOOH? Indeed, why not? This is a general principle that can be extended to many other similar situations. Instead of being locked in a self-storage unit with two rabid wolverines, why not three? Instead of having two liters of pyridine poured down your trousers, why not three? And so on ā€“ itā€™s a liberating thought. Itā€™s true that adding more oxygen-oxygen bonds to a compound will eventually liberate the tiles from your floor and your windows from their frames, but that comes with the territory.

These thoughts were prompted by a recent paper in JACS that describes a new route to ā€œdihydrogen trioxideā€, which I suppose is a more systematic name than ā€œhydrogen perperoxideā€, my own choice. Colloquially, I would imagine that the compound is known as ā€œOh, @#&!ā€, substituted with the most heartfelt word available when you realize that youā€™ve actually made the stuff.

5 Likes

The nastiness to which @shaddack refers is this sad story.

ETA - Crap, I guess I should RTFThread if Iā€™m gonna flesh out othersā€™ thoughts.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I get the candy coated stuffā€¦
Wonā€™t melt in your hand.

3 Likes

I think there might be a flaw in this plan! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

But, Iā€™m, a history geek, not a physical sciences weirdo! Isnā€™t this more up @ActionAbeā€™s alley? Heā€™s the chemistry freak!

2 Likes

Phew! Iā€™m just thankful youā€™re here now. MOMMEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee

3 Likes

Size does matter here! :smiley:

ā€¦and you can use e.g. a hollowed out bolt or other common steel implement for visual concealment as a common object.

The important part is not to follow the paperwork and rules but to avoid mishaps (itā€™s your ass on the bird, after all). Following the rules is only one of the ways. (However if you want to opt out, be very defensive in the engineering part.)

While I respect your evil machinations, even if we ignore paint and other sealants on top of the aluminum, youā€™d need to douse the whole plane in liquid gallium at onceā€¦ in mid-air. Which would make it fall from the sky, but then dumping a few dozen tons of any metal on a plane in flight would work too. Discreetly spritzing gallium on the fuselage would, at worst, result in discreet little holes which would not jeopardize flightworthiness. Might as well just land your floating gallium forge on the White House lawn and take over directly, if youā€™ve got that kind of technology. :wink:

Instead, I recommend you refocus from world domination to quality-of-life crimes. Hereā€™s a list of cars with aluminum body panels. That asshole in the Subaru Legacy who cut you off wonā€™t be so smug once your bucket of gallium has its say!

2 Likes