20 grams of melt-in-your hand gallium for $10

[Read the post]

…I’m going to need more reassurance than probably safer than playing with mercury.

32 Likes

18 Likes

Gallium is fun to use for the disappearing spoon trick. As a side note I absolutely love Sam Kean’s book The Disappearing Spoon about the periodic table and stories about all the elements.

6 Likes

Let’s not forget the aluminum infiltration trick.

I had the impression that this isn’t the sort of thing you want to accidentally ingest, though?

11 Likes

Hey, as long as it’s not the infamous rare melt-your-hand variant.

4 Likes

From the Wiki page: “While metallic gallium is not considered toxic, the data is inconclusive. Some sources suggest that it may cause dermatitis from prolonged exposure; but other tests have not caused a positive reaction.”

2 Likes

I have a friend. It is one of his, uh, life goals, to one day float in a tub of gallium.

10 Likes

Well, with enough 20-gram samples…

3 Likes

You joke, but 10 minutes later, he’s already calculated out he’d need $95,000 to fill his bath.

7 Likes

Buy your own terminator kit! Watch it melt and imitate your own face before it ends your life!

3 Likes

I couldn’t get this to work when I tried it, but maybe I didn’t scratch through anodizing enough…

That’s on a tub of gallium

Gallium is currently about $250/kg, so the Amazon price is about twice the bulk price (not bad actually). Assuming he needs 100kg to float, that’s a mere $25000.
You won’t need to fill a bath because, with a density of 5.9 and as I note above, you would more or less float on top of it. Still displace body weight, of course. A decent quantity to half fill a typical bath would be about 600kg, or $150000, but your floor loading might not permit.

I would say, get it while it’s cheap.

4 Likes

Also, if you fell in molten metal, you would float as well.

It suddenly occurred to me this conversation has been had before.

3 Likes

20 grams of melt-in-your hand gallium for $10

One more hyphen: melt-in-your-hand gallium.

3 Likes

$10? Bought.

Don’t drop it on the carpet. You’re welcome.

3 Likes

Not too shabby to accomplish a life goal. I’ve paid more than that for a used Toyota (not a life goal).

7 Likes

86 degrees? It’s about that hot in Silicon Valley today; maybe a good time for home-made gallium semiconductors?

I prefer chocolate.

“probably safer” than mercury…

2 Likes