Church of England refuses to allow foreign language on a gravestone, calling it a "political statement"

The pearl-clutchers are probably thinking of the Irish terrorism that was a big deal in GB until the 90s.

1 Like

Honestly it’s not that uncommon a theme in Irish music from certain periods!

Edit
I mean embarrassingly so sometimes.

1 Like

It did allow GB to paint all Irish as terrorists, so…

2 Likes

1 Like

That is genius. Brilliant.

I don’t even understand why it’s so funny but it is.

2 Likes

I think at least part of it is Steve Coogan managing to get not just one but two rebel songs on to primetime BBC.

If you can stomach Facebook, you can see the whole segment at Steve Coogan : Come Out, Ye Black and Tans on the BBC | Steve Coogan appears as Alan Partridge lookalike Martin Brennan and sings Irish rebel song Come Out, Ye Black and Tans on the BBC. “That was like an... | By Magic TV Moments | Facebook (sorry, only link I could find).

2 Likes

Oh I’ve seen it thanks. Coogan is fantastic. His turn as Tony Wilson is probably my favourite. He’s perfect. That and I loved their Tristram Shandy film.

2 Likes

Just so. I was going to say ‘some people pay to be haunted in Gaelic’ but I guess some people privilege to be haunted in Irish.

Well, forewarned is pre-eulogised in [looks at VR article] wintergreen and eucalyptus oil in a squishy symbol. Not enough mitzvah hanging off me to run a bioreactor that makes Carolina Reaper for visitors, nevermind NDM, CBD and a splash o’ THC.

5 Likes

Open invitations to appeal the ruling and get it overturned also omitted.

The refusal was greeted with astonishment, not least by the Anglican hierarchy. A statement issued in London said: “This decision does not reflect any national Church of England policy. Consistory court judgments may, with permission, be appealed to the provincial court of the archbishop, in this case the arches court of Canterbury.

“The Irish language is an important part of the heritage of the Church of England. It was, after all, Irish-speaking monks in Lindisfarne and beyond who played a central role in establishing the church in what is now England.”

The bishop of Coventry, Christopher Cocksworth, said: “I am deeply saddened whenever people’s identity is hurt or offended. The diocese of Coventry will continue to work for reconciliation in our world.

“I am praying for this particular situation, especially for a distressed family, and I am ensuring they are made aware of their legal rights according to the procedures of the consistory court.”

1 Like

“Speak English or Die!”
“They’re already dead!”
“That’s no excuse.”

:woman_facepalming:t3:

4 Likes

Open invitations to appeal the ruling and get it overturned also omitted.

“You can spend even more time and money in an attempt to get justice.” != “This is absolutely unacceptable and we are fighting like hell to fix it and make the lives of the perpetrators as miserable as possible.”

I Am Not A Lawyer, but I imagine that it would be grossly improper for a bishop or archbishop to criticise the verdict of a church court or otherwise intervene in an individual case.

Pidgin? Perhaps. Given the power structures post-1066, is it not more of a Norman and Old English creole?

I Am Not A Lawyer,

That makes one of us, then.

but I imagine that it would be grossly improper for a bishop or archbishop to criticise the verdict of a church court or otherwise intervene in an individual case.

I’ll admit I don’t know the specifics of this church’s structure, and while there may be a purely formal separation-of-powers argument for your position, most of the religious leaders I’ve seen have no trouble at all in practice with attempting to dictate the actions of secular governments. It follows that they would be even less reticent about meddling in their own affairs–if they wanted to. Which they don’t, but they also don’t want to be responsible for their bigotry, so they launder it through subordinates.

There’s a theory that it’s a creole of Old English and Old Norse: you had two populations living in close proximity, speaking languages with different grammars but similar vocubularies (e.g. “scirt” – pronounced “shirt” – and “skirt”, both originally referring to the same unisex knee-length tunic).

And then there’s the theory that English is just a direct descendant of Old Norse:

2 Likes

Interesting! That’s useful. Obviously I knew that, errr, a certain English King was responsible for a major split from the Catholic church. But I didn’t know if or how much that relationship remained intertwined.

I should add that I did like this [U.S.] PBS docu and the book is enjoyable and relevant here:

1 Like

tudors-henry-sneer

1 Like

I once spent an awesomely drunken night singing that song with a bunch of Irish folkies and a very confused Senegalese drummer.

We were all pounding the table on the choruses, and there were enough glasses of beer and cider piled up that it caused a tidal wave every time.

3 Likes

Not at all, it worse than that, we usually just forget they exist.
See the issues with Brexit when the UK government finally remembered that part of the UK (NI) has a land border with Europe (Eire). They do still seem to keep forgetting that part of the Good Friday agreement is that they can’t put a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK as well.

The Scots are convinced that the English hate them too, but again, most English people forget that Scotland even exists, and harbour no ill feelings.
The Welsh have been under the thumb of the English for so long that they’re basically the same country.

1 Like