Church of England refuses to allow foreign language on a gravestone, calling it a "political statement"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/26/church-of-england-refuses-to-a.html

8 Likes

Really callous to cause additional pain to people that just want to mourn, remember and honor a loved one. Seems like this judge is being an ass on purpose, gotta keep those imperial dreams alive eh?

38 Likes

requiescat in pace

26 Likes

Kind of the opposite of Spike Milligan

He had once quipped that he wanted his headstone to bear the words “I told you I was ill.” He was buried at St Thomas’ churchyard but the Chichester diocese refused to allow this epitaph.[56] A compromise was reached with the Irish translation of “I told you I was ill”, Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite

23 Likes

What is it, that leads some people to regard foreign languages as fearful vs. beautiful? Or is this specifically an intolerance against Irish, that my American mindset is missing? The article says the cemetary has Welsh inscriptions, so what about Scots? Latin? Greek? Middle English?

10 Likes

A little bit of both. The troubles in Ireland have their roots in the forcible adoption of COE doctrines as a way to enforce the imperial control of the British crown.

18 Likes
5 Likes

Gaelic is a foreign language? (And Latin isn’t?)

18 Likes

I’m not qualified to speak about the historical and political implications of this ruling by the Church of England. My only take is that all bureaucracies, religious or otherwise, are jealous of their own power and prerogatives, often for ridiculous reasons. The justification for stupid positions often comes down to some variation of, “because we say so”.

14 Likes

Meanwhile, here in South Wales, my local cemetery has gravestones in English, Welsh, Hebrew, Italian and even a gravestone from the 19th century written in runes ¯_(ツ)_/¯

20 Likes

Under UK law, Ireland isn’t a foreign country, so I don’t see how its language could be foreign.

20 Likes

So - no Latin then?

13 Likes

Wouldn’t that mean churches should take down the INRI titulus some have positioned on the upper part of the crucifix until they can get them remade with the English translation beneath it?

8 Likes

I thought that stood for I’m Nailed Right In.

18 Likes

This seems odd and stupid. I could see censoring offensive language, but a sweet note in a different language? 110% ok.

5 Likes

I am surprised they didn’t make the family add “Croppie Lie Down” to the headstone. This is Great Britain and a Protestant Church, after all.

1 Like

CoE: ingrates, the lot of them.

The English language of today is comprised of many languages not native to the [British] Isles.

:roll_eyes:

12 Likes

English was probably a pidgin language between Saxons, Normans, East and West Norsemen, … there are a whole lot of theories that go beyond what wikipedia has. It’s apparently a subject with a lot of controversy.

Technically all human beings left Africa already able to speak. Languages evolve so much that we still haven’t found a root universal language, even if theoretically there is a continuity between every culture and our origins in Africa. (not too many successful groups started by non-verbal infants that later spontaneously develop their own language).

Old English is so different grammatically from modern English that it might as well be a foreign language. The vocabulary is at least mutually intelligible, but that argument would suggest Norwegian and Swedish are the same language too (they’re not).

6 Likes

I always just figured that the English hate the Irish. They tolerate the Scots and Welsh but only so far as they can be kept on a short leash.

2 Likes