Irish islamaphobe condemns Halal grocery as evidence of creeping islamification, is subsequently forcefully reminded of the global proliferation of Irish pubs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/27/swiftian.html

9 Likes

If racist Gemma O’Doherty (banned from Youtube for hate speech) thinks that the Halal grocer in her Irish town is cause for alarm, how does she suppose people in every city and town in every country in the world feel about their Irish pubs?

Demon whiskey and ale, Gemma. It’s da coise o youse people!

O’Doherty still doesn’t beat Rep. Pete King, crusader against Islamist terrorism who was also one of America’s most prominent supporters of the IRA during the Troubles.

29 Likes

Holy flying fuck. What a gobshite. This is County Roscommon. Has she forgotten about the huge Halal butchery that used to be in Ballaghaderreen Co. Roscommon, that provided hundreds of jobs for decades?

32 Likes

There’s been at least one (if not several) Irish pubs in every city that I’ve ever lived in.

Also because it would likely piss off a willfully ignorant bigot like that:

24 Likes

Yeah, she sucks, but so help me, if you people get Irish Pubs banned, I’m comin’ fer ya.

23 Likes

Bet this guy’s never complained about any other kind of “ethnic” grocery.
Also, we have an awesome halal butcher near our house. He took me into his walk in to show me the new lambs he got from a local farm in Southern California. My wife declined to visit said walk in. The cuts were delicious, tho.

15 Likes

Would she piss and moan about a kosher butcher? How about any other type of ethnic business? I imagine she doesn’t like curry, either.

@sdmiekv Mmmmm – Lamb of God. Get a boneless lamb roast. Stab it full of holes and put a sliver of garlic in each one. Marinate it for 2-3 days in equal parts Crosse & Blackwell Mint Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce. Slow roast until medium rare. Enjoy.

23 Likes

No sound Irish person dislikes curry.

21 Likes

Hey now; dont go lumping all people who don’t like curry in with that hater.

Turmeric just doesn’t agree with some folks.

14 Likes

But that’s a rational reason not to eat curry.

18 Likes

My glands that sit behind my mandible hate it, as I found out while living in the Caribbean…

10 Likes

Pretty common, actually; Kosher (and Halal) butchers are highly regulated in almost every country in the EU (Ireland is a rare exception, as is the UK), and outright banned in Sweden, Norway, and Iceland.

4 Likes

the point isnt that proliferation of other cultures is bad, it’s the opposite. Irish pubs are cool. so are halal food places.

16 Likes

Eventually she would. Only a matter of time before the Xtianist Islamophobes reveal their anti-Semitism.

25 Likes

Where do Jews and Muslims get their meat in those places?

5 Likes

I missed the part where the Irish government made shopping in Halal groceries mandatory.

15 Likes

Leek and potato soup is halal.

7 Likes

Well. There are Irish pubs, and then there are Oirish pubs, all shamrocks and uncial signage. But they do me no harm, so live and let live.

There is (or was) an Irish bar on the outskirts of Melbourne that had zero plastic tat but several Sinn Féin posters on the wall (reproductions from the War of Independence, rather than from the Troubles). Decent menu, as I recall.

14 Likes

Regarding that: Kosher salt need not actually be kosher. It is the salt used for koshering meats and it doesn’t have iodine. Any chef that I’ve ever worked for uses it. [end pedantry]

16 Likes

I don’t keep kosher so when I lived in Norway I bought meat at the local supermarket, but it is pretty common for Jews there to import meat from abroad. Halal is slightly less stringent, and the certifying council and regulators have apparently come to some agreement over slaughter methods acceptable to both, but there is a problem with meat from Norwegian Halal-certified producers containing pork.

6 Likes