Irish islamaphobe condemns Halal grocery as evidence of creeping islamification, is subsequently forcefully reminded of the global proliferation of Irish pubs

3 Likes

I love Halal butchers and agree with most of the comments slamming this woman. However, I doubt that she feels she has been schooled by Twitter because she probably believes that Irish pubs (and people) are a force for good whereas Halal butcher stores (and Muslims) are evil. I doubt she has learned anything.

12 Likes

Muslims. Irish, Jews. What about the Dutch? ‘Dutch’ courage (booze). ‘Dutch’ dates (pay your own way). ‘Dutch’ uncles (critical). Where’s the outrage over Hollandaise sauce?

8 Likes

I wish more of my local stores had Arabic cuisine. As it is, I usually pick up some hummus when I’m in Dearborn, because I love it. Shwarma’s a favorite too.

On the other hand, I’ve got some good Mexican restaurants and food trucks near my home, and I consider that a win. The more food, the merrier, I say.

(And now I want some hummus. :frowning_face: )

19 Likes

Perhaps she doesn’t like swedes?

5 Likes

Apparently it’s specifically the halal/kosher practices she takes issues with, and she’s notably silent when asked if she objects to kosher, too. (I’m not sure if she’s also anti-Semitic but knows that’s less acceptable so is silent about it, or she’s only Islamophobic. So hard to tell with racists these days.)

Now all this talk of halal meat is making me hungry for the lamb merguez sausage I just made. Time for dinner, I think…

15 Likes

In a similar vein, just saw this. Trump makes up new words:
“Infantroopen”
Our Deutsche Prasident

4 Likes

I’m lost, again. The evils of ethnic food?

tumblr_ntcsugn7O01rsxqqio1_250

3 Likes

There are turmeric free curries. As westerners we just expect it is in every curry, we associate it with “curry flavor”.

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate that racist douche bags like this woman have their hate on like this. It makes it harder for animal rights activists to separate their legitimate concerns about animal welfare and how animals are not stunned before being butchered under certain religious strictures from the objections of racists just looking for excuses.

1 Like

Who cares?

This isn’t The Grinch who Stole Christmas. Her personal redemption is really up to her.

The point is to show that bigotry is stupid, mean, and worthy of derision to the entire rest of the world, not a project to make her life better.

(She would have a better life without being a bigot, though. If you’re reading this, don’t be a bigot!)

16 Likes

*sighs

I’m sure there are turmeric-free curries in existence.

Regardless, there is no difference to my infuriated glands.

My body doesn’t like curry, full stop; no matter how many times I have this exact same conversation with different people, just because someone who doesn’t actually know me invariably needs to chime in with their personal spice expertise… which usually (though inadvertently) implies that I just haven’t been ‘open-minded’ enough, or that I somehow don’t know my own preferences or the effects that certain seasonings have on my own body.

O_O

I know you likely didn’t mean it that way, but it still gets tiresome nevertheless.

\ end unintentional derail/frustrated rant

13 Likes

My wife is the same way. She actually likes the taste, but the spices involved don’t agree with her. Though I love curry, I have the same issue with several foods. Culinary variety enough on the planet for everyone. And as someone who enjoys cooking, part of the delight is cooking for what someone enjoys, so I like learning about folks’ preferences and what to avoid serving them. That’s part of the art.

8 Likes

I remember going out to some Irish bar with a group of friends in Columbus Ohio , and I had the distinct impression that if you wanted to support the IRA’s “freedom fighters,” introductions could be made.

3 Likes

A-freakin-men.

And just now, I find myself craving doro wat:

(Just because I can’t fuck with curry doesn’t mean I don’t dig a wide variety of food.)

11 Likes

Thats not even a Word in German.
Its gibberish that at best vaguely sounds like German. Like what Chaplin made up in “the Great Dictator”.
Also, and I know I repeat myself, we don´t want him. He may had german grandparents, but he is 100% a product of the USA. We don´t take any responsibility for him and his bullshit.
An DER Scheiße sind wir ausnahmsweise mal nicht schuld!

17 Likes

Some of us don’t want him or his bullshit either! :wink:

8 Likes

Eh, it did occur to me after the fact that outside of Asia you are pretty much going to get all curries with turmeric and whatever else causes problems.

Where my head was at was that you could probably find a recipe which agrees with you. But then, why bother?

Anyways, sorry.

2 Likes

I know, I know. It kinda annoys me that people paint him as German, even thou he has, despite his ancestry, nothing to do with Germany.

5 Likes

No harm, no fowl.

Jokes%2C%20Son

18 Likes