Irish islamaphobe condemns Halal grocery as evidence of creeping islamification, is subsequently forcefully reminded of the global proliferation of Irish pubs

I’ve always called our local one “Shonky O’Bollocks”.

12 Likes

Mrs. Ficus has various food allergies (along with some things she just plain doesn’t like) and I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said something like, “oh you just haven’t had my whatever, you’d be just fine” or some variation of that conversation. I’m not even the one with the food allergies and I find these conversations tiresome.

17 Likes

Dutch ovens.

5 Likes

And python

child soldiers.

The US record on child soldiers isn’t the strongest in the world.

2 Likes

They even sing triumphant songs about their victorious Celtification!

1 Like

Is there an ethnic cuisine which sucks?

Or at least has a reputation for sucking?

Oh wait it’s all the food from the British Isles.

4 Likes

Its hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea that the Irish at one point weren’t considered white. And it has me wondering how hard should anyone be wanting to be white, who isn’t considered white.

South Africa, Isreal, USia. Only one of those places has moved toward meaningful reform, and its not us.

2 Likes

She could have condemned Halal grocery in other ways:

• It is a softer kind of hate speech for food; http://halalcertification.ie mentions “the opposite of halal is haraam” (sinful) more than once, however there’s a large gray area (containing shellfish and cigarettes). It’s like “if you feel muslim, ours is the correct way” speech.
  • I did eat “halal prawns” in Singapore and “halal horse meat” in Russia, but you cannot get them stamped so in Turkey (and in many other countries). In a country without an established muslim community, it might be the intersection set for many different policies (and you’re left with chicken and mutton).
  • Food safety (i.e. no pathogens/unwanted chemicals) may not be a prerequisite to get the stamp. (They seem to check it in Ireland.) However they are crazy about ethanol, if that small amount of flavoring was dissolved in ethanol or not.

At least the halal grocery shop doesn’t intoxicate people, destroy their health, and drive them to shame and unemployment like whisky does.

2 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing!

2 Likes

Hey, don’t make us Dutch the underdogs here. We practically invented Apartheid. And all these ‘Dutch’ pejoratives began when we kicked English butt in the 17th century.

4 Likes

So - you’re saying he’s Scottish? :grimacing:

4 Likes

Oh no - don’t start with that.

14 Likes

Nobody wants that stank on them.

5 Likes

Unlabelled and/or mixed meats? What a joy it is to be in the EU and not have to think about that. Oh.

1 Like

Fine! We’ll be taking our potatoes back. Ireland can go back to eating turnips.

I’ve enjoyed many excellent pub lunches in Britain, and my family still talks about a simple dinner of roast lamb and potatoes at a hotel in Wales. Don’t discount plain cooking with fresh ingredients.

16 Likes

Meanwhile in Turing, protests because a Guinness Irish pub was forced to close because the landlord evicted them.
But fear not! They found another smater landlord nearby with an empty shop and they reopened! https://www.facebook.com/TheEagleHouse/videos/1999058340135144/

6 Likes

Now here’s a case where a stereotype applies. Greedy, short-sighted landlords are the same everywhere. “Sure, this restaurant has been paying steadily for decades, but let’s evict them and take a flyer on a brand-new untested fancier restaurant whose genius owners are willing to pay the new exorbitant rent (after months of vacancy and rent-free renovations, of course).”

7 Likes