Kosher pig!

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Do you think they do halal bacon, too?

3 Likes

Well, duh. They used kosher salt on the pig.

Incidentally, it seems to not be in violation of kashrut to sell pork; just eat it.

3 Likes

They should also make beef-fish steaks on Friday for catholics. Just use old bay!

3 Likes

Old Bay? That reminds me, where are the kosher style crabcakes?

3 Likes

OMG… that actually sounds amazing! Can we make that for gentiles, too?

1 Like

In my family’s bellies. Thanks for asking!

3 Likes

Oy-nk! Oy-nk!

14 Likes

I love kosher beef bacon, it cooks way better than pork if you like a soft non-crunchy non-carbonized flavor.
Kosher shrimp(and other non fin/scale seafood) is just pressed fish, meh taste which I think is all the same and that is obviously tricking you, like tofou fake meat.
When cooking Chinese I make a great meal subbing lamb for pork.
Kosher law is binding only for Jews so we aren’t offended if you have a BLT or cheeseburger unless we are hungry, orthodox Jews can sell you the pork and lobster but may not not eat/cook/or benefit from a mix of meat/dairy.
Interestingly bug infestation in food, even a salad, is the worst kosher no-no of all breaking seven commandments, yet certain locusts are kosher and eaten by Yeminite Jews.
Kosher style always sounds funny to me, like legal style bank robbery; Jewish style or Ashkenazi/Sefardi/Mizrachi/Indian/Yeminite/Etheopian/N-Indian/Chinese/Afgani/Persian style makes more sense, no?

5 Likes

Meh, it’s no worse than, say, McDonald’s offering Thai-style food, or Taco Bell offering Mexican-style food, or Olive Garden offering food-style ‘food’.

The real crime is the mashed sweet potato.

/prefers smaller restaurants where the food doesn’t look like it came out of a factory in Minnesota.

4 Likes

It’s not hard to imagine some diners’ reactions.

1 Like

Whats wrong with mashed sweet potato?

1 Like

Isn’t “kosher pig” a Jewish policeman?

5 Likes

I think probably it betrays a level of ignorance about the process. Kosher is a religious commandment about how food should be prepared, according to law, but the various differences in styles you mention are local/cultural variations on food.

1 Like

It depends on how the meat is prepared.

3 Likes

Too single-note. Too sweet.

Me, my preferred way is in the microwave, split in two, pepper and butter - it still preserves a slight bitter flavour that way.

There may be a kosher pig (or at least, “pig-like animal”), the babirusa, which lives in the forests of Indonesia. Sadly, the species is endangered. See this Rabbi’s blog post for discussion.

3 Likes

This is fascinating - I’ve always wondered about this, actually. I really liked the point about the ethical implications of the mass production of meats at the end there especially in regards to labor proactices, and that this might prove a more morally important reason to keep kosher. It’s certainly something that we should all should think about, not just those who are following religious doctrines.

Thanks for the link.

1 Like

The concept of tzar baali chaim, causing pain to a living creature is forbidden, though most often it is just exported to non-jewish factory farms, suffering that doesn’t leave permanent scarring or visible damage doesn’t treif(invalidate kosher) but blech.
I try to buy eggs from neighbors pet chickens or ducks though disgusting factory farm output is so much easier to get.
(edit) I look forward to vat grown meat where kosher and ethical problems become much easier. There is a minor foretelling that in the later times the pig will somehow become kosher, probably an allegory, but maybe grown in a vat?

1 Like

You whip the sweet potato with butter and a touch of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and allspice. Do NOT overdo the cinnamon. You can also do the “twice-baked” thing and fill a sweet potato skin with this, then bake it just enough to give it a touch of a crust.

Just saying.

1 Like