Cider curious? Try some ciders in Portland and earn money in the process

Originally published at: Cider curious? Try some ciders in Portland and earn money in the process | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I prefer a good chilled “dry” (tart, to bitter) cider over beer every time. I assuage any guilt by announcing
“It’s glutin free!”

2 Likes

Ciders just taste too acidic to me. They don’t settle well in my stomach. Oh well, stick to beer I guess

2 Likes

Next time you’re in Japan, give this a try. The sweet one really is sweet.

5 Likes

I recently had a crabapple cider at work that I enjoyed. It was more tart than other ciders I’ve had, but not too tart. I might be biased though as I did help make it :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I grew up in the Cotswolds, then spent five years living/studying/working in the West Country.

‘Cider curious’ describes both quite a lot of my teenage years, and many people I’ve met since getting out of them. If someone had told me people were offering you money to drink the stuff…

6 Likes

I recently had some delicious dry ciders in BC and was blown away!

2 Likes

Been introduced to ciders from northern France recently, which tend to be more ‘session’ ciders, ie much lower abv than traditional West Country ciders. In related news, my brother now owns a cider orchard and still hasn’t given me any of his produce!

(Note for Americans, if it doesn’t have alcohol, it’s not called cider, it’s just apple juice)

3 Likes

I would love to do this, but I’m sure 50 bucks wouldn’t cover the cost of a train/bus trip up from the southern border.

1 Like

There’s a farm in Stonehouse near Stroud that used to sell an absolutely lethal, like ‘wake up in a nettle bed sans trousers’ perry for 50p a gallon back in the 90s. Apparently it’s still doing it, but it’s 3.50 a gallon now. I should really go visit Gloucestershire again…

1 Like

I got stopped once by some customer research ladies in the street - they said, very loudly, ‘excuse me, do you like beer?’, to which I said, ‘yes, of course’, so I got paid ten pounds to got to a pub and drink free beer and fill in questionnaires about it with an assortment of random blokes who also, clearly, liked beer.It was great. Never had another customer research survey quite that good.

4 Likes

I remember back in the '90s buying two-litre bottles of Bulmers (Magners) for 99p and guzzling it in the graveyard, the only place you could be sure that the oulds wouldn’t show up after dark. I don’t remember waking up in the nettlebed mind

2 Likes

Yeah, we used to stop at various farms outside Frome and other spots through Somerset, and got all sorts of interesting drinks. 'Twas always cheaper to take your own containers, and I recall the ciders themselves were almost completely random in terms of colour / taste / strength / cost.

Some real brain rotters, some truly transcendant nectars, some undrinkable jet fuel, and some astounding bargains. Great days.

1 Like

That’s cos you didn’t buy it from a glooozzztezhire farmer straight out of central casting, tapped out of a giant, 6f wide barrel. That’s the good stuff.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.