PopCult ("soda")

Continuing the discussion from ☭ Sup Marxists? ☭:

#PopCult

##What’s your non-alcoholic non-mainstream* carbonated poison?

* Mainstream is pretty much the same concept as totalitarianism.1 Soy sauce is also exactly the same as totalitarianism. And so is line dancing!2

9 Likes

When I can find it here in the US

Otherwise,

But usually I prefer a simple sparkling water

8 Likes

8 Likes

Wegmans! Whoo! (ooh, how’s the Coconut Lime?)

For me:

9 Likes

I don’t/can’t drink sodas so much any more – the gas is awful, and I usually feel sick. I have no regrets about this happening, bur I pray the same fate never befalls pizza…

4 Likes

How non-mainstream do we gotta be?

My favorite root beer is this stuff:

…but it’s not all that hard to find. I get it at Ralphs. When I worked on the 1997 miniseries version of The Shining, the prop department, one of the assistant directors, and I used to collect root beers and rank them in our spare time. By the time we finished the three-month shoot, Weinhard’s was #1, followed closely by a local brand from Denver called Duffy’s.

Other favorites included Frostie and Dog-n-Suds. Both excellent.

The absolute worst was Rawhide Red. Contains “essence of stinging nettle,” and tastes like it.

(Photo not available because it sucks so hard)

Anyway, I don’t drink root beer that often anymore, since it’s more of a dessert than a sodee-pop, in my opinion.

@bibliophile20 thumbs-up on the Dr Peppers! I had a cherry one this morning, I’m finishing off a regular one right now!

I miss the Dublin Dr Pepper.

13 Likes

Still, I would like to try that. Moxie’s not-so-secret ingredient is Gentian-root extract. And I had a burdock-and-dandelion soda this winter – absolutely wonderful!

12 Likes

The creators of Moxie are evil geniuses. Tastes great at first, but fuck, that aftertaste! Better take a long pull off this Moxie to get that out of my mouth!

Not so non-totalitarian, but since Mr Pibb apparently costs $34.95 a can now(only expired 15 years), I’ll reach for this

6 Likes

I luuuuuv Inca Kola! The first time I had it was the first time I went to a Peruvian restaurant. YUM!

6 Likes

Since @fiddlingfrog has already posted Irn-Bru, might as well suggest its stablemate.

Also…

But I don’t actually drink sodas much at all, to be honest. So…

10 Likes

Found this at a Viennese-style kaffeehaus. Vaguely reminiscent of the late, lamented Aqua Libra.

I used to drink this. Other than the taste, its big selling point was the number of states it was banned in.

7 Likes

I am partial to colas for pure name and label design I love…

I also like grapefruit flavor so I mostly get this

5 Likes

Synergy Gingerade Kombucha. It is spicier than virtually all ginger drinks, but it needs more.

9 Likes

This stuff is yumtastic.

14 Likes

My jam:

Tied with all varieties of Dr. Pepper.

7 Likes

My favorite soda, anytime, anywhere. Absolute perfection. If you grew up with rhubarb, you will appreciate its spot-on balance between aroma, tartness, sweetness, and astringency. I have not tasted a better soda than this one. I’ll stop gushing now.

Runner-up: Lurisia Chinotto
Runner-runner-up: Moxie
Honorable mention: Monin Sugarcane Cola syrup + seltzer. Coca-Cola as you wish it tasted. So rich in cola aroma that you end up using less, thus yielding a more aromatic and refreshingly less sweet cola.

11 Likes

TAME!!!

Moar ginger please.

4 Likes

9 Likes

(Given that this is BB, it’s some small miracle this wasn’t the first or second post.)

17 Likes

Love trying different ginger brews…

Used to get this one at a little restaurant across from work, but they don’t have it anymore.

Inca cola is a bit too syrupy sweet for me - my go to South of the border sodee pop is Materva

4 Likes