Remembering the golden age of hot sodas

Originally published at: Remembering the golden age of hot sodas | Boing Boing

6 Likes

when i was young, around 8 or 9, dr. pepper would advertise their recipe for hot dr. pepper from november through christmas. you were to heat it in a pan with a lemon slice and then serve it in a tall mug with a lemon wedge on the rim. i had an aunt who had a samovar of it at a christmas party once around that time. i tried it and decided quickly that it was not for me.

23 Likes

I remember reading in a comedian’s memoir about how he’d be given hot lemonade by his grandma when he was ill. With dry sarcasm, he said something to the effect of “it was just as good as you’d imagine”.

Also, while warm clam juice soda sounds horrible, a cold crab juice is the perfect accompaniment to a tasty stick of Khlav Kalash.

24 Likes

The only hot soda I ever drank was if it was left in the car on a hot day and that was pretty gross.

12 Likes

The golden age of hot soda was the mid-90s South, where warm Dr. Pepper was the breakfast drink of choice (to accompany cold pizza).

9 Likes

hot sodas?

Nope. Then again, I’m not a soda pop guy…

8 Likes

Reeking Smatch? That’s an ugly name. The “Bro” is ever-present throughout history, sadly. Even Google sees through it.

Edit: This has been stuck in my head since I read the article, so I thought I would share the earworm.

2 Likes

My mother would bring us hot lemonade when we were stuck in bed with a cold. I don’t know if it had any medical effect but it was soothing emotionally. Mom always served it in a thin-walled glass with a metal novelty straw. The straw was shaped like a skinny bamboo stem and a shell-shaped metal charm dangled from the side. I’ll never forget the sound of the tinkling charm as Mom brought the drink on a tray. It always made me feel warm and safe and loved.

25 Likes

We used to drink warm ginger ale when we were sick. Ginger Ale is very much a Canadian thing, but I don’t know if the “warm” part is common or if that was just us. In any case, when you have a sore throat, the beverage being lukewarm (not hot) made it easier to drink. It’s also not bad warm! In fact, I might try that again, because it has been a while.

18 Likes

I dunno about the ale part, but ginger in hot tea is lovely, especially with lots of honey. My preferred tea is Earl Grey with a couple of slices of fresh ginger. I put the ginger in the water as I heat it, so it gives it a very strong ginger flavor.

13 Likes

“One hot doc, hold the scurvy!”

3 Likes

My mom would give us ginger ale, too, but just cold from the fridge. Ginger in any form does wonders for an upset stomach. I like to put it in hot tea…

I can’t imagine drinking ginger ale (or any soda warm, though).

buffy-gross

That sounds good.

16 Likes

Reeking Smatch. Reeking Smatch.

Those really were more innocent times.

3 Likes

Cold soup and hot soda. Both are very much a NO, for me!

3 Likes

At the local T&T Asian supermarkets, they have jars of Korean honey-ginger-ginseng “tea” that looks like marmalade, and can be used that way. A spoonful in a cup with hot water.

8 Likes

From Buster Keaton’s College:

12 Likes

Yeah, a clam-based drink called a “reeking smatch”… er, jumped out at me, too. That sent me down an etymology wormhole, where I found “smatch” is actually a variant of “smack.” That’s “smack” in the sense of" smell," or “taste,” a old meaning for the word that no longer seems to be used in contemporary English. (Though I realized it’s a meaning retained in the expression “that smacks of [ ]” - in the sense of containing or involving something, or having a trace of something. I.e. it metaphorically smells of the thing.) [All the other meanings of “smack” - to strike something or smack your lips, the type of boat and as a reference to heroin all have different linguistic roots, it turns out.]

8 Likes

Those guys were jerks.

9 Likes

Something that I have never drunk, but definitely exists (in Germany): warm beer when you are sick. Metal devices that are either filled with hot water or are solid and heated in hot water and then hung into the glas or stein. Bierwärmer – Wikipedia

5 Likes

I sometimes forget, what a treasure Sarah Michelle Gellar can be. That’s a wonderful reaction gif.

6 Likes