Remembering the golden age of hot sodas

She’s awesome!

Buffy-when-the-apocalypse-comes-beep-me

9 Likes

Growing up in a northern snow covered region in the 80’s - I recall hot Tang being a common field drink on winter excursions, often transported in artillery grade looking thermos bottles, (which I guess is in line with the astronaut marketing, but the common factor is I think the dry weight and hence cheap air transport-ability).

4 Likes

In Texas they serve it boiling hot.

5 Likes

I’m not a fan of carbonated beverages in general, so that reaction fits. Once I stir them until nearly flat, they’re much more tasty! :champagne:
:yum:

6 Likes

My grandparents, when they had a bar, would simply use an immersion heater when the old people demanded their beer “g’staucht” (literally"squashed" = warm).

At least that’s what I’m told, the era of ubiquitous warm beer was over when I was around, this would have been in the 50s and 60s.

8 Likes

Fun fact, Pepsi got it’s name because it was advertised to relieve dyspepsia.

9 Likes

I met someone off Grindr who was into Hot Soda, but I never tried it because I don’t have three-phase AC in my apartment

Yes, I think it is somewhat rare to see someone drink warm beer nowadays. I never have. Personally, I like beer (pale lager aka “Helles”, Bock-Beer or Pale Ale) when it is not too cold. Although I have never measured the temperature, I guess it is in the range of 10 - 14 °C. Maybe people used beer warmers to raise temperature in general, not only to make “warm” beer. Wheat beer on the other hand can be significantly colder for my taste.

3 Likes

It’s hard to find any two words in that that sound good together, much less all five.

9 Likes

My Gram also gave it to use when we were sick; I’m originally from Ohio.

9 Likes

I don’t mind the carbonation, but I’ve never understood the demand for it. Oh, I can’t drink this, the bubbles are gone!

7 Likes

Well, that’s a new euphemism!

4 Likes

I grew up down south, but my mom was raised in Jersey.

7 Likes

Previously carbonated soda which has gone flat is basically just watery syrup.

8 Likes

Yeah, but watery syrup with bubbles doesn’t strike me as superior.

6 Likes

It’s just easier to swallow, I guess.

5 Likes

mrw-i-drink-beer-so-i-dont-feel-left-out-even-though-i-think-its-disgusting-81537

6 Likes

I am rather partial to this (no milk, no sugar).

1 Like

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

5 Likes

cool, thanks!

1 Like