Enjoy a nice warm glass of Dr. Pepper

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/07/enjoy-a-nice-warm-glass-of-dr.html

2 Likes

i had a teacher in high school that told me about doing this. he would have been a teen in the 60s. Never seen an ad for it as a legit thing to do. I thought it was just a weird life hack.

9 Likes

I shan’t, but thank you for thinking of my enjoyment

16 Likes

“This is Tronya. I hope you will relish it as much as I.”

19 Likes

Sounds like something I would drink for an upset stomach, as opposed to for actual enjoyment.

3 Likes

They’ve been pushing the whole “hot Dr. Pepper” thing for decades, especially in the 50s, with custom “hot Dr Pepper” glasses you could get as a promo, Dr. Pepper hot carafes, etc.31317265900_5f872d02b6_b 1eb8881c8a2832c0d5f7d8686b70279b hot-dr-pepper-with-lemon

13 Likes

A few years ago I got some friends together to try Hot Dr Pepper at Christmas. We heated up a saucepan and served with lemon. Everyone hated it. Boiling it got rid of the carbonation and made it a thicker syrupy drink. That made it taste and feel like cough syrup.
Reading online people who love the stuff, many said we need to add rum to the concoction. Turns out adding alcohol to something that is already nearing cough syrup pushes it right over the edge. I, stubbornly, was the only one to finish my cup of the stuff.

27 Likes

The official breakfast of the South: warm Dr. Pepper and cold pizza.

9 Likes

3 Likes

Bleargh. The Not-Toddy.

11 Likes

Dick Clark was a teenager for about 60 years or so, so there might be something to it.

21 Likes

I was born in the 60’s, but I’d never heard of this. Fascinating. . . and disgusting for sure. I love Dr. Pepper (cold) but I think ewzzy’s experience is all I need to know about it to avoid it when it’s been turned into bad cough medicine.

Now cold baked beans with mayo on bread, that’s the stuff. . .

4 Likes

I mean, you can add rum to bilge water and it’ll become moderately palatable.

Liquor makes everything better.

7 Likes

So, honestly, what’s the strategy for heating it up? Sauce pan? I don’t think I’ve ever put a carbonated beverage in the microwave. How hot do you make it? Like get it to 70-80? You don’t really want to boil it, do you?

4 Likes

Double boiler?

Microwave sounds like an invitation to test all those kitchen hacks about how to clean horrendous messes in a microwave.

And I agree, boiling would be ruinous. I might use a thermometer and try to hit about 140F

And rum, definitely :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

You’re not supposed to boil it. Just raise it to warm drink temperature. Rendering it to the thickness you describe turns it into a sauce base or syrup, which would need to be diluted to be palatable, which seems counterproductive.

I’ve tried warm drink temp Dr Pepper - it wasn’t terrible, but not fantastic either. I wonder if corn syrup has made it less tasty than it was with all sugar.

6 Likes

The ‘official’ method seems to be “heat in a saucepan until it steams, serve with lemon slices”.

3 Likes

hey. Laverne had milk and Pepsi…who are we to judge?!?

5 Likes
4 Likes

At 10 my family drove across the country in an unconditioned full size van that my dad converted himself with some remnant shag carpet and a wood bench he put between the wheel hubs. Somewhere in the desert we were dying of heat and were out of water and pop. I found a Dr. Pepper in the well of the sliding door. It was 120 degrees or more. When I opened it, it didn’t make a sound even though it was new. When I took a drink, I actually spit it out all over the shag green carpet. Hot Dr. Pepper was the most disgusting thing I’ve had in my life. It took 30+ years before I tried Dr. Pepper again.

14 Likes