Checking to see if Japanese people like root beer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/checking-to-see-if-japanese-pe.html

5 Likes

Root beer was my favorite soda when I was a boy, so I was surprised at the revulsion my Japanese wife expressed when tasting the beverage. She claims it tastes like toothpaste. Upon further consideration I must confess she is correct. (Or maybe it tastes like Bazooka bubble gum?)

4 Likes

You sir, are drinking the wrong root beer!

9 Likes

I’m a Sarsaparilla kind of a guy.

12 Likes

Root beer, cream soda and Dr Pepper are all sodas i really dislike. I did grow up outside of the US so its not something i’ve ever gotten used to, though i’ve quit drinking sodas so i dont expect ever coming around to liking it.

On a similar note Americans usually dislike the taste of a soda that’s typical in Latin America called Malta

2 Likes

Where are you all finding this toothpaste and medicine that tastes like root beer?

13 Likes

I grew up on root beer (my favorite soda as a kid) so the medicinal/minty notes don’t register with me, but I can see it being a very divisive flavor if it’s new to you.

The floral/lilac flavor called “musk” is well known in Australia & NZ, but as an American, it just tastes like old grandma perfume.

2 Likes

“It’s vile!”
“I know. It’s so bubbly and cloying and happy.”

17 Likes

Am I the only one seeing this?

3 Likes

That’s exactly how it appears for me, too (Mac, Safari browser)

2 Likes

Yeah it was borked for me too in Firefox

2 Likes

Same, except with more ads:

3 Likes

Use an ad blocker

3 Likes

Same on Microsoft Edge. (I am not responsible for my company’s choice of browser.)

Perhaps Guidan could interest Garrak in an alternative…

6 Likes

Now get their reaction to Moxie.

8 Likes

That look at the end… “Oh crap, now I gotta goooo!”

Even native New Englanders make yacking sounds when offered Moxie.

More for me!!

3 Likes

Might as well let them try a shot of Malort

2 Likes

While medicines in the US are common flavored with (terrible) grape or cherry, in Japan, I’ve heard it rumored that root beer is the go-to flavoring mask. Hence, the aversion. Any truth?