Cincinnati cop investigated after failing to process rape kits: "active cases where he wasn’t doing his job"

Originally published at: Cincinnati cop investigated after failing to process rape kits: "active cases where he wasn't doing his job" | Boing Boing

11 Likes

If they actually took this “incredibly seriously”, it would not take over a decade to notice that these cases were being ignored. Glad the guy is getting fired. Hardly even a start to addressing the underlying problem

31 Likes

“it’s going to be hundreds a very large unknown number of cases,”

11 Likes

Who wants to run odds on his DNA being in some of those samples?

25 Likes

black-guy-woah

14 Likes

What a total fucking bellend.

9 Likes

Who wants to run odds on his DNA being in some of those samples?

Maybe, but then, his negligence with these kits is entirely typical.

19 Likes

ACAB

episode 11 school GIF

21 Likes

Though I may not have the entire story, this sounds like they are letting him quit rather than just firing him. And it’s “part of a plea deal” which will no doubt be the worst of it, and he’ll be able to head over to the next county and get another job as a cop. I mean, hey, he’s never been fired from a job in law enforcement, right?

hashtag: ErodingTrustInLawEnforcement

21 Likes

It is estimated that there are currently well over 100,000 untested rape kits in America.

(That’s a low-end estimate. Other sources suggest closer to 200k.)

From the “end the backlog” site:

"To me, the backlog is one of the clearest and most shocking demonstrations of how we regard these crimes in our society. Testing rape kits sends a fundamental and crucial message to victims of sexual violence: You matter. What happened to you matters. Your case matters.

https://www.endthebacklog.org/backlog/what-rape-kit-backlog

Not testing those kits sends exactly the opposite message. And it’s coming through loud and clear to the women of America.

20 Likes

It also means he can still get his pension.

12 Likes

Ah, Hamilton County’s finest at work once again, I see. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

“Siri, show me a person who represents the entirety of American policing…”

4 Likes

So much misogyny boils down to laziness or maybe a better way to put that is “so much laziness is justified by misogyny”.

1 Like

No Way Meme GIF

8 Likes

Yeah, I expressed that badly the first time. The relationship between laziness and misogyny is in things like not doing emotional labor, not engaging in child rearing, etc. Misogyny is the source of laziness rather than being caused by laziness and it is certainly not the same thing as laziness.

I don’t know if the cop didn’t do his job out of laziness or because he just doesn’t think rapes deserve to be investigated. Either way it reflects a deep hatred of women.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t this make him complicit?

2 Likes

Yeah, my first thought on reading this was, “Why…how…(is there a word that means both why and how?)…can one person’s incompetence, intentional or not, cause this problem?” They presumably keep some sort of database of open cases, right? I mean, it’s trivially easy to have a field in there for “Rape Kit Tested (Y/N)” for rape cases, and have the system notify somebody if the kit isn’t tested by a certain date. Like, this guy is garbage, but he’s not the problem. The problem is the whole system sucks.

ETA: To be clear, this guy is A problem, he’s just not THE problem, if that makes sense.

6 Likes

“…I don’t know that anybody appreciates the significance of what this means,”

3 Likes

In 2009, the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office discovered 11,341 untested rape kits in a Detroit Police Department storage facility.

They’re still processing them.

Women’s Lives Matter.

5 Likes