Cities' emergency sirens will play anything you send them over an unencrypted radio protocol

7 Likes

Username checks out… :wink:

2 Likes

I think that the SF Bay Area’s Caltrain announcements are (or were) based on simple phone calls, because I was shocked to hear some telemarketer’s robocall come over the system once, a few years ago. There are other ways that could have happened, but clearly a phone call or phone-based message was part of the process at some point.

9 Likes

And depending on the frequency, you don’t need anything other than a GPIO pin to produce a useful signal. So we’re going to have to ban all the MCUs.

1 Like

Really, is there any reason to permit people to go around just promiscuously knowing how to do things beyond the scope of what their employer deems suitable for the performance of their duties?

Since I’m a fair and reasonable sort of fungus; I agree that it might be a good idea to let the Librarian of Congress examine the creation of limited exemptions for recreational purposes(with due input from stakeholders to keep input from the public in its due context, obviously); exclusively in areas deemed to be of no security, intellectual property, public order, or trademark concern. Baking soda volcanoes, say, of not more than one (1) liter reactant volume, with an appropriate permit, seem like a wholesome and nonthreatening activity for everyone. As a gesture of goodwill, and symbol of their enduring benevolence, the RIAA might even designate a small library of musical arrangements allowable for whistling on a noncommercial basis.

10 Likes

ATI claims that the research that revealed the defects in their products is illegal, and that discussing these defects is also illegal

Well OK then. I’m glad that problem is solved.

4 Likes

Also:

2 Likes
8 Likes

This is why full employment for engineers is so very important.

4 Likes

So cool. But I’m still excited by “zombies ahead” hazard-sign hacks.

1 Like

I’d start with this

1 Like
3 Likes

This is an emergency parking warning. Please remove all cars parked on the street during rush hour. This will allow the google buses to navigate narrow streets safely, and ensure that critical mass riders are not inconvenienced. To keep our sidewalks clean, release of bodily fluids by homeless citizens and google bus toilets will be restricted to parking lanes. Thank you citizens and visitors to Frisco.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Wait, is this one of those Cambridge Analytica tests to work out how old I am?

Damn…

4 Likes

Don’t you need a license to broadcast on a lot of frequencies already? From TFA:

[Bastille] couldn’t easily try Seeber’s technique via radio in a test setting without risking a violation of FCC regulations

1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

You’re thinking like an engineer, not a politician.

2 Likes