Undetectable proof-of-concept chip poisoning uses analog circuits to escalate privilege

[Read the post]

2 Likes

How is open, shared networking and coding not the ethical general standard for computer engineers?

Chasing the latest predatory corporate and/or security state malfeasance is a wasteful drag on everyone.

3 Likes

Our various smart devices will break down when their warranties are up, on the dot. Shitty Biff Future, here we come.

4 Likes

This is another example of “demon-haunted technology” that is designed to detect the situations in which it is being inspected, and modify its behavior to hide features that are harmful to the user. When the inspection ends, the harmful features resurface.

I’m pretty certain Volkswagen has this patented

7 Likes

Might these be used in voting machines?

1 Like

IMPOSSIBLE!

Could these eyes lie?

1 Like

Because hardware companies that make the products other computer engineers are fearful of people stealing their IP, and thus a small set of EEs are controlled by them.

Hardware requires a different scale of industry, therefore there’s not as much enterprise grade stuff being produced, unless it’s stuff like search engine datacenter setups, server pods, and the like.

1 Like

I can’t wait to pay microtransactions of whatever’s the Facebook to Buttcoin’s Friendster in order to open my (owned by the corporation) smart door! And be surrounded by junk ads on my walls. IoT is going to be great!!!

1 Like

That’s not how VW’s emissions cheat worked. It didn’t “detect” anything, it just performed in a certain way when driven within the very unnatural envelope of an emissions test. If you took a VW out on the road and drove it around the same way the test “drove,” you’d get an identical result. Not to excuse VW’s malfeasance, but I don’t understand why the implementers of an obviously flawed test didn’t catch their share of blowback.

2 Likes

Not demons. Eleven dimensional Protons.

Ruin my fun then :stuck_out_tongue:

No offense but you got a sad sense of fun.

1 Like

I was going to suggest that we go into business disabling smart functions on doors, toasters, etc and replacing them with switches, knobs, and dials. But now I wonder if the HAL9000 won’t seek revenge.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.