Citizen scientist records 500+ animal species in his small city garden

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/01/citizen-scientist-records-500.html

3 Likes

I always suspected that RuPaul was more than just a pretty face.

2 Likes

There is a terrific book Nerve Cells and insect Behavior (for those interested in the topic). Roeder conducted the behavioral experiments described (mostly with moths) over the years in his back yard in Boston. Mostly from just spending his evenings sitting on his back porch watching.
There is a lot of life around us if we care to look

4 Likes

After the wettest February we have had extraordinary amounts of sunshine (almost 200 hours more than average) which is going to change things. Next weekend is stag weekend I heard a whirring yesterday evening but couldn’t see the beetle.

4 Likes

Huge respect to anyone who IDs moths.

2 Likes

1 Like

I offer my vote for iNaturalist for collecting observations and getting suggestions or confirmations for identifications.

Citizen science is cool.

5 Likes

iNaturalist rocks! We’ve used it to record 514 species (and counting) from our suburban garden in Christchurch, New Zealand. (We don’t run a nightly moth trap like this British fellow has. That sounds like a lot of time to process and ID all those moths.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.