Clap along to a 7/4 beat

Omg, flying microtonal banana is one of my favourite albums! The fuckery is the best bit. On exploring their other work it turns out they do ballads. Like finding out your box of lucky charms is filled with cornflakes. Long may they rule!

1 Like

I’m a sucker for weird time signatures and, like @chgoliz have definitely done some time singing and playing pieces that are well beyond my level of music theory but somehow all work out at the end.

One of my earliest favorite β€œpopular” songs with a weird signature is Alpha Beta Gaga by Air. 10/8 anyone?

Also, I found this list in my travels this morning. Can’t verify its accuracy, but at a quick glance it could be a fun way to waste some time :grin:

ETA: formatting

3 Likes

My gosh, so much, so many interesting offerings here.

ETA - maybe better sound:

2 Likes

Cued to relevant portion:

5 Likes

My favorite song that’s in 7/4 time. Thanks to boingboing for turning me on to iamamiwhoami way back when.

1 Like

For a real challenge, try clapping along to Trout Mask Replica.

5 Likes

Kashmir is the auditory equivalent of an optical illusion. The drums and bass are in 4/4, guitars and keys are 3/4. Every 12 beats they meet again on a strong beat, giving every strong beat not on that point a weird wandering feel, and the 12th beats have a rock-solid anchoring feel.

6 Likes

That beat – with just the drums – makes me feel as if something juicy was about to happen.

2 Likes

What a great track. One of the best singles Air put out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.