A cartoon by a man name Cage about a silent piano composition was published 20 years before John Cage's 4'33"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/24/a-cartoon-by-a-man-name-cage-a.html

6 Likes

Whoever is running this simulation we’re all in sure likes dropping hints.

27 Likes

I mean they added actual Easter eggs! How on the nose can you get?

15 Likes

16 Likes

Those sixteenth rests are tough to play.

12 Likes

This is proof of time travel.

2 Likes

Is 4’33" in 7/4 time?

I wonder how Dave Brubeck would have interpreted it.

6 Likes

Kyle Gann has also written comments on John Cage / Hy Cage parallels in nine other cartoons.

2 Likes

We need a server reboot to fix some of the more recent glitches.

4 Likes

Once upon a time, I had a scholarship to the junior college in my area. It partially involved taking certain courses that were a part of this program. One of them was some sort of art & music appreciation course that had a section about european and american painters, and also classical music up to the current day. One day I arrived a couple of minutes late to class and unwittingly became part of a performance of 4’ 33’’ as I walked into a silent room of students staring at another student that sat at a piano, doing nothing.

7 Likes

I wonder what this does for John Cage’s copyright trolling with his work? It is entirely possible that this cartoon’s copyright was not renewed and it is either in the public domain now, or will be in 2027.

Perhaps soon silence will be within the public domain again! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That’s exactly what Cage had in mind.

4 Likes

Ok, so I don’t think it would be that crazy if John Cage was actually inspired by these comics. I can easily imagine a 20 year-old John Cage subscribing to Etude magazine, enjoying the comics, and identifying somewhat with Hy Cage, because of their shared surname. I could see how Hy’s jokes would make a lasting impression on John: Hy’s humorous subversion of Western art music clearly matches John’s serious subversion of Western art music perfectly.

5 Likes

Yes! Probably the only time a teacher appreciated me being late. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is my considered opinion that if we are in a simulation it is not an advanced research programme, but the equivalent of a junior high school science fair project.

8 Likes

I can’t listen to any of the new recordings of 4’33’’. The dynamic range compression just kills it for me.

16 Likes

What I’m most surprised by is the fact that somebody was reading a >80 year old issue of a magazine that’s been out of print for >60 years.

4 Likes

Later folks; calculating odds versus that of winning the lottery (which winners would be more amazed by).

The coincidence may have popped up when researching/googling Cage + composition + silent… something like that.

1 Like

I would love to see what a copyright court would do with this one. Is the length of the piece a distinctive enough difference to abolve him of infringement? And will we eventually have to pay a royalty to close our mouths and say nothing?

2 Likes

Only if we do it with a piano.

2 Likes