A cartoon by a man name Cage about a silent piano composition was published 20 years before John Cage's 4'33"

7 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

rustle

cough

crinkle

8 Likes

You have the right to remain silent.

But if you do, you owe John Cage royalties…

4 Likes

Be quiet, I can’t hear the humming.

6 Likes

With a piano? Look, I’m pretty broad-minded, but there are limits.

2 Likes

Upright? Grand? Are harpsichords right out?

1 Like

I think an organ would be the obvious choice. Possibly a concertina in a pinch.

1 Like

Nah, I’ve been inside an organ with 3700 pipes a couple of times.
It’s not as it had been cracked up to be.

4 Likes

3700 pipes you say…?

Oh%20my%202

4 Likes

I once attended a live performance of 4’33" during a lunch time recital at the University of Edinburgh. The pianist entered the stage accompanied by a young lady and put a book of “sheet music” on the piano. Every so often during the performance the pianist would ostentatiously nod his head and his attendant would turn the (empty) page.

Note that this must have been an elaborated arrangement of the piece as the original music easily fits on one page – it has three movements, and for each of the movements, the complete instructions consist of the word tacet (as in “don’t play”). Also apparently according to Cage you’re free to use whatever instruments are available, and extend or shorten the piece as desired. 4’33" just happens to be how long its world premiere took.

3 Likes

…sound of one hand clapping?

2 Likes

I recently remixed that song and I’m thankful I didn’t get a copyright strike on this.

3 Likes

Oooh! The use of dubstep bass is an ironic choice!

2 Likes

If there ever was an instrument made to play 4’33", it was the concertina

“What was with that solo? You weren’t supposed to play anything there!”
“The music said ‘take it’ so I took it!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.