Classic 90s game Worms 2 hacked to run on modern computers—and to have its hidden features

Originally published at: Classic 90s game Worms 2 hacked to run on modern computers—and to have its hidden features | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Man i played the hell out of Worms 1 & 2 way back in the day. They were crazy fun games to play with friends

8 Likes

Wait, I think the “hidden features” was just network play, which he re-patched after GOG had removed it, and they had removed it because the multiplayer servers no longer existed, so you can’t actually do network play.

Did I miss whether he posted the files anywhere? I’m guessing he didn’t, because GOG is still selling the game. But it could have been nice if he gave them back to GOG so that they could sell a version people could actually run.

2 Likes

He has a second, follow up video, where he works through actually getting the multiplayer working: (1) Fixing Multiplayer Of A 25 Year Old Game - YouTube

Which is where he decides that he can’t really do all the work himself, and stumbles upon the discord server, and finds it has already been done, and there is working multiplayer.

5 Likes

Can’t someone just take the original and throw it into a Dosbox? (Assuming that they can find a copy.)

1 Like

Abandonware directories list Worms 2 as being a Windows release. Worms 1 was DOS, but Worms 2 was I assume release for Win95/98. That seems in line with the fix detailed in the video, pointing to updated windows dlls.

Or some other emulator if it is a Windows game?

I thought we had emulators for pretty much anything that games could be played on.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.