Classic adventure Myst remade for modern machines

Originally published at: Classic adventure Myst remade for modern machines | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Dammit, I love Myst but I’ve bought this game too many times.

This doesn’t seem very different from realMyst which was released over twenty years ago.

7 Likes

Great, now I have to go out and buy a modern machine to play it.
It’s not available for linux and my macs are too old to run the new version

4 Likes

Sweet! Loved that game, can’t wait to play it again. Going to add it to my wishlist, though, and wait for it to be on sale.

4 Likes

parks and recreation please GIF

I was busting my hump with two or three jobs and taking classes at university when games like this were being produced, and I couldn’t afford the time or money for the game or a decent computer.

Now that I have a decent Lenovo, I reallllly want to try this!

8 Likes

Can you please, when time permits give me a run down [message me] on its player’ability and relative ease of operation. I loved this game when it first came out, Little Papasan and I played it to death, have fond memories of those times. Greatly appreciate it.

5 Likes

I’ll be playing the PC version. Same for you?

2 Likes

I have a GTX 1060-based laptop which has served me well for a while now, including with VR games. The Room VR and Cyan’s Obduction both played well, even if I had to turn down the graphical settings a bit.

Myst VR brought my system to its absolute knees. The game crashed each time I tried to play and I realized my poor little system was working so hard it was overheating and auto-shutting down the GPU. Had to get a Steam refund, unfortunately. I’ll have to wait until my next system upgrade, maybe late next year.

My system falls between minimum and recommended system specs, but then I saw the line “VR requirements may be different” and boy they weren’t kidding.

3 Likes

No, on a Mac, but as I did some reading it looks like if your machine is new[er], than it shouldn’t be an issue…

1 Like

Yep. Only about a year old. I took the Intel i7 because it was a good deal. I can play my MMORPG with no issues.

1 Like

Dear Wife just got a new iMac with monster screen, nice audio for an iMac too.

1 Like

Oh shit, it’s $29.99, I thought it’d be like a couple $100.00 bucks. I’ll take my chances!

4 Likes

That reminds me. My MMORPG has begun region blocking credit/debit cards as payment when buying expansions. I hope it’s not the case with this one. I’ll have to go find some wi-fi in San Diego.

1 Like

I never played Myst when it came out, but this made me think about at what point real-time graphics got good enough that they could recreate the pre-rendered ones of Myst, and realized it happened quite a while ago, given the original game got made in 1991. It’s amazingly easy to make a game like this now, even when substantially improving the graphics, and they clearly didn’t spend a lot of resources doing so. I mean, those CGI faces are unnecessarily bad… Unreal, which they used, has the tools to make near-photorealistic 3D animated faces. Perhaps targeting the Oculus Quest, which is a stand-alone device, forced them to simplify that in particular, but this was clearly something that could be (and was) made cheaply and quickly even by the standards of modern indie games. Given how significant a game Myst was, I feel like they could have thrown more resources at a remake. Maybe the nostalgia audience for this isn’t as big as I assume, though…

20 years ago? That can’t be true, as Myst itself only came out… oh… oh, dear god.

It does look like they substantially improved the graphics over realMyst (I mean, I would hope so), but they’re still not exactly cutting edge, and they’re both replicating something that was (by modern standards, at least) very simple, so it’s not terribly obvious.

5 Likes

Not necessarily. Get GamePass Ultimate for a month or two and you can play it streaming. Whether that streaming works on what you have :man_shrugging:

The original Myst’s environments were completely prerendered static images with tiny bits of animation overlayed and postage stamp sized full motion video. That’s all hardware of the day could possibly handle. That’s a far cry from realMyst’s fully 3D rendered environments, or today’s insane graphics.

The history of Myst is very interesting (video and computer game history is sort of a hobby of mine) and I think it might explain the lack of resources…

4 Likes

Bird Rock Coffee Roasters
1270 Morena Blvd, San Diego, CA 92110

This coffee shop has screaming fast internet, and rarely anyone in the place. Coffee is delish too.
It’s in Mission Bay / Linda Vista, short walk from the trolley station…

1 Like

Wait, what? Don’t they want people to buy their product?

2 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reminds me of the problems I had with trying to get an online order in Moldova about 15 years ago…

1 Like

Looks like it works on proton with a simple tweak
https://www.protondb.com/app/1255560

1 Like