Classic female character killed. Men investigate. Again

Same old trope, kill off the woman for dramatic effect. Yay. :pensive:

11 Likes

OFFS. No, just no.

11 Likes

I can save Frank and Joe Hardy some time here. Nancy was fridged. /s

10 Likes

Thanks, that was the phrase I couldnā€™t remember when I posted this.

8 Likes

ā€œWe swear we didnā€™t throw her in the fridge, and this is not an issue meant to celebrate her 90th anniversary!ā€ protests comic book publisher, following blowback resulting from their announcement that they were throwing her in a fridge for her 90th anniversary.

Did these idiots learn nothing from the ā€œCaptain America was a Hydra agent all along!ā€ fiasco?

12 Likes

No?
Wait, are they going to bring her back next episode and it was all just an innocent exercise after all? Thatā€™s ok thenā€¦
I am so tired of that trope in comics.

8 Likes

I think it would be more interesting if they had her disappear instead and then release a second book explaining where she went and why (her own mystery to the mystery with the Hardy Boys eventually link up maybe in a third book?). Iā€™m not a writer but I think it would be more clever that way if the goal is to sell books.

7 Likes

I like the storyline where sheā€™s gone into deep cover in order to crack a case, but those bumbling Hardy Boys threaten to ruin everything.

I guess suspension of disbelief only goes so farā€¦ she cracks the case, but is forced to let the Hardy Boys take credit, because the prosecuter canā€™t be trusted.

2 Likes

How about the Hardy Boys killed her?

But at the end thereā€™s a twist and she merely faked her death to set them up?

8 Likes

Well, youā€™ve spoiled it nowā€¦ :smirk:

But that could have been cool!

7 Likes

Perhaps the Hardy Boys could go missing during the investigation and have to be rescued by Harriet the Spy.

8 Likes

With help from Miss Marple.

z8001

8 Likes

(4 disappearances later)

ā€œOh shit, I think I may be in way over my head here.ā€ ā€”Encyclopedia Brown

7 Likes

Just as an aside, did Nancy Drew get way more hardcore after I stopped reading it? Like, IIRC the books are mostly small-time, small-town stuff. When did she start going deep undercover in the flippinā€™ mafia?

5 Likes

I read some of the old stuff to my kids a few months ago. Even in the early stories there were pretty serious crimes like kidnappings and (I think?) the occasional attempted murder.

7 Likes

Iā€™m not sure why those things register differently with me than undercover mafia work does, but apparently they do. I always find something new about my brain to be fascinated by.

5 Likes

Apparently at some point it became Miami Vice?

z8002

8 Likes

Dude in the shorts is planning to hit that :grimacing:

7 Likes

I didnā€™t know they did crossovers between the two franchises, but now that I know Iā€™ll bet thereā€™s an offensive shorthand amalgamation of the two franchise names that fans use when referring to such works.

4 Likes

Hardy Drew Mysteries sounds cool :thinking:

2 Likes