Click the first link on a Wikipedia page. Repeat. Eventually, you'll end up on "Philosophy"

Originally published at: Click the first link on a Wikipedia page. Repeat. Eventually, you'll end up on "Philosophy" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

brutus “the barber” beefcake: 5 clicks

3 Likes

Uranium ends up in a loop as well, and I’d assume other elements:

• Uranium
  • Chemical element
  • Chemistry
  • Science
  • Latin
  • Classical language
  • Language
  • Communication
  • Semantics
  • Ancient Greek
  • Greek language
  • Modern Greek
  • Dialect
  • Ancient Greek
6 Likes

There’s always one:

Also, if you want a tool for doing this, to save you all the clicking:
https://xefer.com/2011/05/wikipedia

10 Likes

My new favorite game!

Thank you

2 Likes

25 clicks from the Wikipedia: Getting to Philosophy link. That was quite fun.

1 Like

It looks like the second law of thermodynamics as interpreted by a metaphysicist. Just the entropistemology of the system increasing over time.

4 Likes

Neat. 24 clicks from pickles to philosophy. It danced around it for a while before finally getting there.

2 Likes

16 clicks from “Boing Boing”

5 Likes

It doesn’t work very well from the Talk pages.

4 Likes

Do I have to read each page on my way to the finish line? I’d hate to have to learn something along the way.

5 Likes

I’d heard of this since the xkcd comic a few years ago, but actually thought it was a joke and never tried it until now. This is fun! It’s fun to do manually because you can see it getting closer (sometimes further then closer again). The page for a niche mechanical engineering component that I use was 25 clicks to Philosophy. Almost got into a loop on Ancient Greek but then it broke out. It’s surprisingly tricky to follow the rule of “nothing in italics or parentheses”. Sometimes that’s much of the article and parentheticals can be quite lengthy on Wikipedia so you have to be careful.

9 Likes

23 clicks to philosophy from “Carpathian-Ruthenia”

Also @Purplecat thanks for the link! I especially like the link mapping.

4 Likes

It was 18 clicks for Wayne Gretsky and I thought it was super long but then I see others were in the 20s. I tried the Foo Fighters and it was seven.

Musicians (the arts) are closer to philosophy than athletes, which makes sense.

Wait a minute…nope. I tried Olympics and Olympic athletes and it took me over 20 clicks each time.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to game this to break out of the Science → Philosophy chain. I picked sleep assuming it would tie into consciousness but the Wikipedia page has “naturally occurring” as the first link with consciousness as the second link. I’ll keep trying. Beats working today that’s for sure.

ETA: Succeeded by using “Hydraulic Press Channel”. Back to work I guess.

2 Likes

Feature, bug, or coincidence?

I’d like to think it’s a hidden feature that in which no matter what you search for, Wikipedia always ends up trying to make you understand the “why” of your search.

7 Likes

Huh. Just tried it with the featured article on the wiki front page, which is a song by Kylie Minogue. 25 clicks and I was there.

Roughly via mononym → ancient mesopotamia → language → fact

I misunderstood the rules and simply ended up jumping back and forth between Rye whiskey and Rye whiskey (disambiguation).

10 Likes

Took 24 clicks from dutch process cocoa.

1 Like

Or as I call it, “Saturday”

8 Likes