CN Tower's management company claims that any picture of the landmark building is a trademark violation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/03/clcl-trademark-trolls.html

3 Likes

That reminds me of Harley-Davidson’s 1990s attempt to trademark the sound of their bikes, never mind that the sound in question is characteristic of common-crankpin V-twins. This was basically an attempt at evergreening their patent on the design, which expired in 1927. After massive opposition, they eventually withdrew their trademark application.

16 Likes

Do you suppose Mr. Tingle would like to use this phallic piece of architecture in an upcoming work?

18 Likes

Whenever I see selfies I’ve taken, I get confused about whether I was in a business relationship with myself when I took that. My lawyer is always very generous with his time to explain to me that it’s not a problem. I’ve got his billing on a payment plan.

24 Likes

Too many people want to be owners that control everything. It’s time to assert some good old fashioned chaos into the mix.

16 Likes

I hope James Bow wins, and the publicity has an unintended side effect of selling more books.

15 Likes

The Seattle Space Needle (completed 1961) should file a trademark claim against the CN Tower (completed 1976).

26 Likes

They’re just looking for more money. Although I don’t know why they would need it, tickets to go up the CN Tower are ridiculously expensive.

6 Likes

So any picture / souvenir / etc. of the CN Tower that includes even a little bit of another building next to it in frame needs permission of that other building’s owner before it can be sold? I smell a windfall for the owners of (looking at Google Maps) the Rogers Center, the Metro Toronto Convention Center, the Toronto Railway Museum, and a bunch of skyscrapers in the general vicinity of the CN Tower.

8 Likes

Yeah. That’s my point. Their horrible urge to absorb more and more wealth, taken to extremes such as this. It’s time to post pictures of the tower everywhere. Streisand that shit.

Because they can? I don’t know why anyone needs more money than it would take to provide a group of 100 people comfortable existences for their entire lives, but we have Bezos, so… something is wrong somewhere.

15 Likes

Any picture of Toronto skyline stands a good chance of including the CN Tower, even if many miles away.

CNTower

Do they have permission from Canadian National to keep using their name on the tower?

9 Likes

do they do the call to prayer five times a day, or just on special occasions

3 Likes

Come at me, bro.

13 Likes

29 Likes

These guys are next

8 Likes

No. Just No. What a bunch of asshats. No.

No.

9 Likes

If we asked nicely, perhaps so; I’m told he’s a nice guy.

4 Likes

I grew up outside of Toronto in the late 70s. Near the end of CN Tower construction, my family took a day trip to the city, went up to the roof of the nearby Bank of Montreal building, and watched a Sikorsky Sky-Crane ™ try and fail to drop part of the top-most mast into position. The winds were fierce at my level. I can’t imagine what it must have been like up there.

Three weeks after the tower opened, my parents took us for dinner in the rotating restaurant. I’m guessing my Dad spent the entirety of his paycheque on that meal. We phoned my Aunt in nearby Mississauga to say that we were looking over at her. She was terrified of heights.

16 Likes

♬ I got rhythm, music too, just as much as before
Got my guy and my sky of blue,
Now, however, I own the view. ♫
~ Madonna, More

Also, fuck these kleptocrats with a rusty saw.

8 Likes

Also the Auckland Sky Tower (1997)

10 Likes