CN Tower's management company claims that any picture of the landmark building is a trademark violation

Fair Use: I’ve subsequently turned my house into a parody of the original design.

4 Likes

On the contrary, I think we should remove all photographic representations of the tower from the internet. And because we can never know just how comprehensive their ownership of the tower’s image may extend, we should remove all textual references to it as well. And remove it from all maps. Make sure we never refer to it in speech either. Let it become a non-object that is never referred to, not even by the inhabitants of the city in which it resides. Buses and taxis should not go there, the tourist information office should deny its existence, the city claim no taxes from it.

3 Likes

My house is 111 years old. To whom should I snail mail the request?

1 Like

That would depend on factors like the statutory period of limitation regarding intellectual property, what was agreed upon in the contract(s), whether the IP rights were passed down to heirs, an estate or still lie with the original firm, etc.

I had to wrestle with this a couple of years ago. My employer wanted to make alterations to a building (finished in the early 1980ies) they own, including altering its appearance by adding an extra storey on parts of it.
The building had been designed by two architects (who had quite a name then but sank into obscurity later). The original contract from the mid-1970ies basically stated that they both held a copyright on the building’s design, but was formulated a bit vague. The statutory period of limitation was still 30 years (IIRC) away from running out.
One of the architects was still alive, the other had died, but passed on his IP rights to his heirs.
It took us the better part of five years to sort it out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.