Coast to Coast AM has uploaded 422 episodes of Art Bell

Originally published at: Coast to Coast AM has uploaded 422 episodes of Art Bell | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The Coast to Coast website wants to “Ignite my stems cells” with a “stem cell wellness kit”.
I may have figured out who their target market is.

3 Likes

… one might even call them “incredible”

… what is it with woo merchants wanting us to learn their personal made-up acronyms :confused:

1 Like

I’m just going to leave this here:

1 Like

I always thought OBEs were part of the British honour system, but apparently not.

2 Likes

My mother would keep the radio on all night and I can’t tell you how many Art Bell shows I’ve listened to bits and pieces of.

The show seemed largely harmless and generally innocent and friendly.

But ultimately Art Bell paved the way for Alex Jones. Indeed, after Art Bell left the program, Alex Jones became a somewhat regular guest on Coast to Coast radio.

5 Likes

… colonizing the Astral Plane :alien:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think this is what we’re waking up to (royal we? Society? Anyway…)

It turns out that poking holes in the cultural concept of truth seemed like harmless fun, but it wasn’t. “To break is divine” perhaps, but the Tower can indeed fall…

2 Likes

Some late night snippets of Art Bell definitely seemed harmless, generally innocent, and friendly enough to me. I mean I’d think wacko or nutter often but not in any fearful way. More like amusement. If that show did grease the skids for Alex Jones, with all his hate and spite, it would be both unfortunate and unforeseen, at least to me.

1 Like

Space Ghost Coast to Coast (Western Animation) - TV Tropes

1 Like

There are more than 422 episodes, but unknown forces in the government don’t want you to hear them.

2 Likes

Dale Gribble GIF

2 Likes

It also took a few years for Alex Jones’ particular brand of crazy to metastasize into the harassing-parents-of-dead-kids far-right überassholery he’s known for today.

There was a time when he had the outward appearance of a mostly-harmless kook who did stuff like sneaking into the Bohemian Grove with Jon Ronson and having a cameo in Richard Linklater’s surrealist film Waking Life.

2 Likes

No thanks, not paying money to hear a bunch of cranks talk about their pet crankery. I have acquaintances who love Art Bell, and I can’t stand talking to any of them, because they’ll believe anything. That’s what happens when you foster conspiracy and credulousness.

4 Likes

Ah. Back when we could make Spurious Claims without being too worried about being believed. I miss those times…

Yeah, stuff like this is not fun anymore since the Qanon shit got traction.

I used to like alien/ghost encounters and conspiracy theories as interesting what if scenarios and wonder how much is bullshit. Now it just feels disgusting gateway drug for anti vaxers and the like.

Sigh.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.