Coca-Cola to fund obesity research that says it's not about diet

Marmalade is low fat.

4 Likes

Er yeah, but the point as I take it is that itā€™s also high sugar, which is just as or more damaging to oneā€™s health as something high fat. Further, the clerk was also likely echoing the ā€œlow fatā€ mantra of corporate food advertising, whereby fatā€™s tastiness is replaced by high amounts of sugar. ā€œLow fatā€ food can be more fattening than food that doesnā€™t have its fat removed.

1 Like

Right you are. Just like Coca Colaā€™s new product Coke Life only has 90 calories per 12oz can, but still has 24g of sugar in it (twice the amount of daily sugar intake that W.H.O. recommends for adults).

1 Like

Yesā€¦ yes it isā€¦

A modicum of marmalade on a couple of pieces of toast, is hardly going to tip you over the edge. Itā€™s all about moderation.

1 Like

AND about being more aware than food megacorps want us to be of how much sugar there is in processed food.

1 Like

I did a quick search of marmalade nutritional information and most fall into the 8-12g range for 1 Tablespoon. Putting you close to or right at the daily intake amount. On top of that add any sugar used in the bread, tea, coffee, fruit juice, cereal, etc. and youā€™ve probably blown through an entire weeks worth of sugar in one meal.

2 Likes

In fact Iā€™m pretty sure if Paddington Bear were real he would look like this: http://i.imgur.com/4PLDVYE.jpg

He outgrew the cute little outfit in a year.

1 Like

My guess is that it is all about the non-nutritive sweeteners, actually.

Nonnutritive sweeteners, energy balance and glucose homeostasis
Purpose of review
To review recent work on potential mechanisms underlying a paradoxical positive association between the consumption of nonnutritive sweeteners (NNS) and weight gain.
Recent findings
Several potential mechanism, not mutually exclusive, are hypothesized. First, by dissociating sweetness from calories, NNS could interfere with physiological responses that control homeostasis. Second, by changing the intestinal environment, NNS could affect the microbiota and in turn trigger inflammatory processes that are associated with metabolic disorders. Third, by interacting with novel sweet-taste receptors discovered in the gut, NNS could affect glucose absorptive capacity and glucose homeostasis.

There is likely a fourth that would involve intestinal microbes either developing the ability to digest the sweeteners or selecting for microbes that are more efficient at their job.
Artificial Sweeteners May Change Our Gut Bacteria in Dangerous Ways - Scientific American

2 Likes

Whaaa?! So heā€™s real - and they REPLACE him? Aaaah!

1 Like

btw - has Coke been adding caffeine and maybe other stimulants to compete against the ā€œenergyā€ drinks?

When I drink it nowadays (well, diet coke) I get what feels like 6 cups of coffee worth of kick. When I was 18, that did not happen.

If the cheapskates still put cocaine in it, this might reduce obesity.

8 Likes

A bottle of normal softdrink like coke or pepsi has about 80mg of caffeine in it. Thatā€™s the same as a cup of coffee. You may absorb it faster because sugar is great at priming digestion, but I donā€™t think thereā€™s much of a difference in sugar and caffeine between your bottle of coke, and a grande non-fat cinnamon mocha frappe full whip at Starbucks.

On the other hand, Iā€™ve never seen an energy drink with less than 160mg of caffeine per 16oz can, and my preferred brand boasts 384mg of caffeine per 16oz can, and tastes like insecticide. I like it. I have to stop though.

3 Likes

Weirdly, Iā€™m not seeing this. The diet soda market is huge and people getting scared away from sugar arenā€™t drinking less soda because of health fads, theyā€™re drinking less sugary soda. Iā€™m not saying the interests donā€™t align, but Iā€™m not seeing something incredibly insidious. People all too often get the order of events wrong with these kinds of studies. These researchers were likely looking for funding long before Coke came along. Will the funding source potentially introduce bias? Sure. But itā€™s not a given that itā€™s going to be bad study, or that the conclusion they will reach is utterly predictable. All Iā€™m saying is: If they reach conclusions that fit your pre-conceived ideas, will you suddenly accept them? Cause thatā€™s definitely not the scientific way to think about this.

There are some theoretical ideas, but nothing really conclusive that Iā€™ve seen. The metabolic activity of non-nutritive sweeteners is a subject Iā€™ve been looking into lately. I havenā€™t seen a study that gave me a strong suspicion that this is the case. Even if I did, Iā€™d hold off embracing the conclusion.

I think people have this misconception that you can find a few studies and that this supports a position, but that is not how science works. Actually itā€™s a great way to fool yourself. You have to find the studies that contradict your ideas as well and see how these things stack up side by side, and very often, there just isnā€™t enough information.

I think youā€™re being a bit hard on the Marlboro Man there.

1 Like

Maybe so; but letā€™s scientifically postulate that the marketing people at Coke are behind this.

1 Like

Which means very little in terms of the science. Either the science is good or itā€™s bad. Pointing to where the message comes from as evidence of a claimā€™s veracity, or lack thereof, is the very definition of the ad hominem fallacy.

I though that anecdote was supposed to be a story of an accidental object lesson for the shopper: ā€œOh, even this undeniably sugar-laden gel can be labelled low-fat? I guess that label alone actually means fuck-all to my overall health in the long run!ā€