Cockpit view of landing a plane in terrifying crosswinds

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/10/cockpit-view-of-landing-a-plan.html

5 Likes

It all looks so smooth, until you focus on the control columns. Yipe! :open_mouth:

9 Likes

Gave me the collywobbles.

2 Likes

I’m still cranked on engine turbulence in the movie ‘pushing tin’ which is fake-crate subject matter

edit description : wake turbulence

1 Like

My instructor, when I got my license, was very big on teaching me to embrace a good crab angle. It’s actually quite fun.

Don’t read too much into his rapidly flipping his yoke left and right – unlike a car’s steering wheel, on all the small planes i’ve flown, they have a little bit of dead space in them (5-10 degrees or so), so if you bump them you don’t actually do anything. He’s moving the yoke left and right quite a bit just to get to the beginning of where it responds to make a small adjustment – in a car, you are making tiny, functional adjustments all the time – here you need to do a bit more to get it to react, and he needs to react a lot to the changing winds.

18 Likes

Obviously I’d make a terrible passenger :smiley:

1 Like

This scene

2 Likes

A pat of butter wouldn’t melt on that pilot’s tongue.

Still easier than landing in Top Gun on NES.

7 Likes

Nice video!

They write that the crab angle was 45°, which, of course, it wasn’t. You can estimate the crab angle from the speed of the plane, I guess at least 60 kt at touchdown for the Cessna 208 “Caravan”, and the crosswind, which the pilot estimated at 25 kt. This yields a crab angle of 23°.

The pilot will most likely have used much less than full landing flaps and so was able to touch down at a somewhat higher speed, perhaps 70 kt, yielding a crab angle of 20°.

And he might have overestimated the crosswind immediately above ground a little. Perhaps it was 20 kt, yielding a crab angle of 16°.

A bit higher up the wind is normally faster, so a somewhat bigger crab angle during the approach is to be expected, but still nowhere near 45°.

Since the pilot could hold the plane aligned with the runway for a couple of seconds before actually touching down, maximum rudder deflection must have been sufficient to counteract the crosswind. From the technical data of the Cessna Caravan we could thus obtain an upper limit of the crab angle, but I do not have this information. 23° would seem very high.

The suggested maximal crosswind speed for the Cessna Caravan is 20 kt, which includes some margin of error, so we are at an entirely believable situation here.

Finally, no experienced pilot in his right mind would attempt a crosswind landing at a wind speed that the plane cannot handle, because that would risk damaging the plane. The landing was obviously difficult, but still within the limits of what a well-trained pilot in a Cessna Caravan is capable of.

Thanks for the video! It also shows what a nice and docile aeroplane the Cessna Caravan is, even under adverse conditions. It is a favorite workhorse for very-short-haul passenger flights in many countries around the world.

I never liked the looks of the optional luggage belly, but for its utility the fat-belly version is unbeatable.

The Cessna Caravan has one turboprop engine and non-retractable gear, ideal for short distances, low speeds, and short and rough runways.

3 Likes

I like to hang out on the southern end of runway 34 at Melbourne, with a radio scanner and an ADSB reciever. A few times an aircraft has flown very low over me on final and kicked off these vortexes which hiss through the air for 30 seconds or so after the plane is gone. Its the weirdest sound. Like knives swinging through the air.

1 Like

Nice. I’m going to go watch some of his other videos.

Big planes can do it too! https://youtu.be/OtnL4KYVtDE

It’s the puddle-jumper of choice for getting into small airports in HI.

I tried for ages to get a picture of concorde landing at LHR quite an ordeal

Here’s the deal with aircraft carriers: you turn them in to the wind for flight operations so at most you’ll get an oblique gust. Easy!

I don’t think Nintendo got that memo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.