Coffee expert asked to guess difference between cheap and expensive coffee

I read what google suggested; if I understand it, a Clover is a full-immersion brewer with good temperature, dosage, and pressure control, with vacuum extraction, also well-controlled. And automatic other than grind, stir and clean.

I also understand Starbucks might be using new beans in the “Starbucks Reserve” line.

When I have time I’m going to have the same beans made in a Clover and French Press. Maybe tomorrow…

4 Likes

That’s about right. The Clover was widely discussed in the “coffee hobbyist” universe when it first came out, and the point wasn’t that it produced something unreproducible at home, but rather that it made it feasible to make such a cup in a commercial establishment.

People were rather upset when Starbucks bought the rights, but my take on this is that given the ubiquity of Starbies we might as well applaud any moves they make towards improving their coffee. The “Starbucks Premium” shop local to me is a little too full of itself (but not worse than, say, Philz), but hopefully that will pass (or “lesser” Starbucks will get similar equipment).

3 Likes

Seriously. It’s a coffee robot. It customizes the temperature, brew time, draw pressure, etc for the particular roast. And starbucks already standardizes their water. Science!

I’ve found that true for all but their French Roast, which is less so. I’d go with a paper filter method with it, not a press.

2 Likes

I have to admit that right now in my life, I value expedience over quality. I used to have (mental) time for an aeropress and I love the coffee from it, but much of my daily coffee is from a Flavia machine at work. It’s tolerable, but it’s fast and free. (Until they finally get around to closing this office.)

I’ll still make pour-over at home occasionally for a treat. Though with no scale, no temperature control (just water off the boil a bit) and I generally grind beans at the store as I’ve not found any grinder that doesn’t make a mess from static electricity that I’m willing to pay for. (Or doesn’t require more cleanup time than I spend drinking the coffee.)

1 Like

Peet’s used to be great. But since they got bought out, it’s been a slow steady decline to mediocrity. I’m really disappointed with what they did to their teas. It used to be the only place to get decent tea.

1 Like

Add a drop or two of water to the beans before grinding, that will largely control the static.

1 Like

Here’s what I use for grinding. Minor static build but I don’t crank real fast these days. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Crystal-Wall-Mount-Coffee-Grinder-original-glass-jar-Tin-Lid-/132671282776

1 Like

Now there’s a marketing angle: “ONE NAKED INSTANT”:

Nude baristas serving instant coffee, one customer at a time. $10.

“If we don’t have what you want, go to Starbucks.”

(Prolly only a two-three week media sensation, so don’t go big on the lease. (-: )

I think I’ve finally given up on French press coffee. I’ve tried numerous models of presses and grinders over the years, and all kinds of beans, but for me French press coffee is just a game of Russian roulette where its not if but when you get that horrible swig of sludge from the bottom.

Filtered coffee for life.

1 Like

As a fan of turkish coffee I consider that the best part. Also you can get a mesh tea strainer to pour your coffee through to catch the chunkier bits.

3 Likes

The hotel I stayed in last week had a Nespresso machine in the kitchen and the coffee I got from that was very good and I didn’t expect that. When my espresso machine at home finally dies (it’s an e-61 based heat exchanger) I might switch to Nespresso.

At work, we have a drip machine, a Keurig, and I have an Aeropress in my office. I too value expedience and will usually settle for a K-cup rather than use the Aeropress even though the end result is worse.

1 Like

I get that. For me, it’s the texture/mouthfeel/whatever of that sludge that just gives me a visceral reaction. I’m minding my own business enjoying my coffee then whammo.

FWIW I feel the same way about OJ with pulp. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

1 Like

How can we best bring the experience of ink jet print cartridges to the kitchen.

1 Like

And so, once again we come to a close of the wonderful entertaining topics led by BoingBoing on this fair Wednesday. There has been a fine amount of assumption and consumption, a lesser degree of statement of fact and my personal experiences with Instant Coffee. Others told of their battles with the daily sludge, while still others praised their only cup of choice, whatever that was. And only one reference to Civet cats.
Good day to you all, and remember, It’s not coffee unless you say " Ye Gods. Who made this muck?!!"

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.