College course on "adulting" so popular it's now turning students away

I bet you also think that “blacks are demographically thieves” and “Mexicans are demographically lazy”, don’t you?

2 Likes

The first rule of not adulting is to continue not adulting into your 50’s. When your kids are having kids. Then pass that on to your grandkids.

Keep a little boomer in your soul.

6 Likes

As cynical and blame-shifting as this comment is, I’m somehow completely on board with it. Boomers have not only fucked up their kids, but are in the process of dismantling the entire planet.

“We can only call them on the phone if we need help, but that only goes so far”

For those of us who grew up with phone and post (letters in envelopes) as pretty much the only means of communication back home (*as opposed to umpteen different social media or other messaging opportunities - all of which most parents would be overjoyed to see their kids using if directed at their parents), let me say that phoning goes a very long way indeed. Sharing docs and other stuff with parents via email make it even easier now than it was in my day.

Lesson 0: Stop giving a shit about people who use using the word adulting

17 Likes

Sounds a bit like They Might Be Giants lyrics, not to put too fine a point on it.

10 Likes

Most boomers are retired people on limited incomes.

Sure the .01% are still in charge- but that’s not most boomers by definition.

8 Likes

My secret is out…the shame!

4 Likes

I know many adults who should take this class.

Primitive ancestry? Yeah, sounds like a boomer. :wink:
(Ahem. Me too, I’m afraid.)

2 Likes

Let us remember there are two sides to this. Even the greatest teachers sometimes find themselves with the worst students. The spectrum here is wide and varied.

3 Likes

This is the old internet thing where a group gets called out for its collective behavior and someone has to stand up and say, “Well not all of us are bad!” Of course. There are some excellent boomers. But that’s not the point. The point is: look at the people in charge who are dismantling the Earth. I’m going to go out on a limb and say 99% of them were born 1964 or earlier. Boomers. Are. Stinkin. Up. The. House. :poop:

Must’ve depended on region. Boys were allowed to take home economics in my junior high school, though I vaguely recall that might have been a recent change. Most of the stuff was less than useful, though we did learn how to sew which I then forgot for several decades and only recently started to re-learn, this time with the vastly wider smorgasbord that is the internet.

One thing we didn’t learn was anything about how to adult, so if anyone got that from their home-ec course all I can say is they had a better home-ec that I did.

5 Likes

Well - if it’s .01% of a group - your metric is false. Retired people who mostly aren’t in the work force or aren’t in positions of power aren’t making those decisions.

We would also need to see an assessment of carbon footprint by age range to say it has any currency. Most older people in my building use public transport - most younger drive to work.

Edit:

This is from 10 years ago - so those 60 yo’s are now 70 and consuming proportionally less. But - older millennials are approaching and GenX are now in their peak carbon production years.

“On the whole, the emissions steadily increase from age 10 to around 60 and then abruptly begin to decline. In other words, most Americans hit their carbon-producing peak — about 14.9 metric tons per person — just before retirement. By the time they hit 80, however, their emissions have dropped to about 13.1 metric tons.”

6 Likes

We may be close to the same cohort then - but a few years apart could make a difference. And no - a lady never tells and a gentleman never asks.

5 Likes

What “collective behavior”?

Like the Koch brothers, born in the 1930s, members of your cherished “greatest generation”? I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the people in charge have been in their 50s and older for recorded history, because the elders have had the time to accumulate money and political power. Obviously only a tiny percentage of the elders have any real influence over what happens. The rest are just trying to get by.

I would hope any good adulting course includes a section on logic.

6 Likes

Don’t get me started on Peter Thiel and the entire leadership of the alt right.

5 Likes

Counter point, Gen X learned how to adult early, because many of us were latch key kids who often had to care for younger siblings.

13 Likes

My husband can do woodworking and he can sew, I am a worthless sack of crap with no fine motor skills. But I can grow green beans so there’s that!

5 Likes

My wife now asks me to do all the mending because I am supposedly better at it than she is, but I suspect her motivations considering that she’s the one who taught me how to use the sewing machine in the first place.

7 Likes