Colorado hiker in just a hoodie got stuck in severe snowstorm for 7 hours before rescue

Maybe they can pass the cost on to Google.

1 Like

I think a stiff Idiot Tax as a warning is a fine idea, but a possible six figure impact might make some people hold off calling until it’s too late.

Hopefully they’re completely fair in applying that, unweighted by race, sex, local vs away, etc.

2 Likes

When it makes the news it’s always someone woefully unprepared. ie hiking Mt Washington for the first time wearing flip-flops and carrying 18 oz of water. That sort of thing.

NH and the WMNF has been doing a bunch of press and offer a hikesafe program.

4 Likes

I won’t comment on the hiker in the OP, as I would probably be flagged for foul language. I bring extra clothing when hiking inside Stockholm’s area parks in Summer.

Unfortunately it’s getting more and more frequent seeing people not taking the very basic precautions of having the right clothes, gear and shoes.
Here some pictures of daredevil idiots.

In Italy, it varies a lot by region but in the north (where most of mountains can be found) you have to pay the rescue if the SOS call was “inappropriate or without motive”, with costs that get up to 120 € per minute if a helicopter is needed.
“Inappropriate” can also mean you put yourself in trouble by not checking the weather or not being suitably geared for the situation. In general you have to pay if do not end up in the hospital.

If someone is using Google maps for hiking or trekking, they should be left to their destiny of Darwin Award winners. They’ve earned it.

1 Like

Well, I’ve been wearing a hoodie all day, and I’m not dead, so they’re obviously somewhat effective.

2 Likes

While that’s good, it’s also a sample size of one. I believe we need more data. I have not worn a hoodie today (though I did for a bit yesterday), and I am also not dead. So, so far we have 2 hoodie days and 1 non-hoodie day, and neither have lead to death. Still inconclusive, but better. This is some real citizen science stuff!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.