28 essential items you’ll need to survive this winter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/15/28-essential-items-youll-need-to-survive-this-winter.html

It very rarely snows In Houston TX, but it does get cold. Thanx for this!

1 Like

I remember the snow in 1960.

https://abc13.com/snow-winter-blizzard/2753082/

1 Like

Long underwear really makes a big difference.

2 Likes

Actual number of “essential items you’ll need to survive this winter” in the article?

Zero.

10 Likes

ezgif.com-optimize (1)

11 Likes

Well, they are selling a jacket, which could be pretty necessary if you didn’t already have one. (I’m just imagining that scenario, now: “Oh no, I live someplace where it gets cold, and I totally forgot to own a jacket!”)

7 Likes

28 items you’ll have to scroll through looking for the actual content

6 Likes

Well, gloves,

Heated clothes seems like a bad idea. Staying warm in decent gear is no problem, being too warm and sweating in shitty gear is a problem.

5 Likes

True, but these goods are pretty much all issues of style and comfort, not so much life-and-death when the weather goes sub-zero and you need to walk a few miles after your car breaks down.

1 Like

as a Canadian, may I just say

I. Just. Can’t.

There is just so much wrong with this stuff I don’t even know where to begin. The only thing that has any use is the electric blanket, which seems reasonable enough. But the rest of it, well I guess adults are allowed to be stupid dorks, but don’t send your kid to school with any of this crud, not if you love them.

I gotta admit the windshield blankies are kinda cute though, but I pity the fool that tries to use one hereabouts.

But the portable headwarmer is old technology really:

9 Likes

not sure what the word “real” is supposed to mean here

3 Likes

For those of you coastal Californians: that white stuff is snow, just like you ski on in Tahoe. It gets all over your car and in the morning if you try to open your doors without brushing it off it will get on your car seats and then you’ll have to sit in a wet seat. Gas stations will start selling ice scrapers and brushes once you get closer to the mountains.

You mean the comments section?

6 Likes

Speak for yourself, some of us only come to these kinds of articles FOR the comments. :wink:

4 Likes

Usually I find something. But this time the things I did like were ridiculously priced even with the coupon code. Especially the gloves and scarves.

1 Like

Depends where you live, if you drive a car, and what your personal definition of cold is :smiley:

3 Likes

these heated slippers

The wireless remote

at this point the boingboing shop has just become a caricature of itself. conveniently peddling all of the useless junk and internet-of-shit-enabled waste that the spirit of boingboing historically mocked and warned about.

4 Likes

Which varies with your age and general state of health. My father had Raynaud syndrome in his later years. He had to wear heavy mitts any time the temperature approached freezing, and even then his fingers would sometimes turn dead white. Heated gloves would have been ideal for him.

For healthy people, though, the items on this list are mostly unnecessary.

2 Likes

Hush, they’ll re-brand them as medical equipment and slap a huge markup on them.

2 Likes