Stranded in the snowy wilderness? Here's how to survive

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/06/stranded-in-the-snowy-wilderness-heres-how-to-survive.html

1 Like

Tip 5: Build a Steam-shovel

A steam-shovel is great for clearing a path back to civilization, and the heated cab is also a great way to shelter from the elements. Start by collecting iron ore from the surrounding area. Iron is among the most common elements in the earth’s crust, so finding some should be easy. Construct a blast-furnace by digging a pit and lining it with flat rocks. A hollowed-out stone can be used to collect the molten iron. Pour the iron onto a bed of flat rocks to create primitive sheet metal. Quench with snow, then bend into shape to create the boiler and the shovel bucket.

13 Likes

I simply waited till I turned 18 to escape the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

5 Likes

Ranger Ron says…
Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 17.32.05

13 Likes

And if you are stuck in your vehicle in the winter, DO NOT LEAVE IT- if you do, the chances are rescuers will find your vehicle before what’s left of your body.

6 Likes

Pro tip: Don’t live where there’s an abundance of snow. Your life will immediately improve.

5 Likes

And then there’s this guy…

3 Likes

A philosophy I took to heart 33 years ago. I’m close to snow country (even get snow where I live for a couple of days each year) but avoid the white stuff as much as possible.

2 Likes

I lived in both Reno and Colorado, i’ve always been more partial to warm weather but not having to deal with iced over streets, black ice, snow storms, shoveling driveways, etc is perfection.

1 Like

I was lost in Northern Alberta in February twice when I was a teenager, both times while doing distance trips for Duke of E awards. How you do has a lot to do with how well you are prepared before you go into the woods.

1. Bring fire making stuff, and bring food. Make fires often and make sure you have everything you need to stay warm next to the fire and start one next time (kindling).
  2. Don’t be stupid and wander around aimlessly. Have a map and compass at a minimum.
  3. Wear the right clothing and FOOTWEAR.
  4. Don’t overwork yourself. Make progress then set up camp before dark. Also don’t do stupid things like try to cross open water in winter (assuming it isn’t frozen).

The funny part is that the second time (1 year after the first) we ‘found’ ourselves by recognizing a clearing that we’d been lost in the year previous - which was 2km north of a lake we were looking for.

6 Likes

[usual stuff about shovel, traction mats, sleeping bag, etc.]

#1: Tell someone where you are going, the time you expect to get to your destination or back home, and that you will call them when you get there.

5 Likes

I think this should be the first item, even in civilization.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.