Sen. Tim Kaine and thousands of others stuck in traffic for 19 hours

Originally published at: Sen. Tim Kaine and thousands of others stuck in traffic for 19 hours | Boing Boing

12 Likes

So it’s not just ATL…

18 Likes

Watching Godard’s Weekend is fun. Living it, not so much.

11 Likes

Midwest protip - keep a handful of old warm blankets in the back of the car for this exact reason.

17 Likes

I hope people were able to find warm shelter. Abandoned vehicles make it more difficult to clear the roads, but that’s a long time to be stuck with no heat or bathrooms. I keep a coat and blanket in my car, but now boots and a porta potty solution are going on the list of emergency gear… :cold_face:

18 Likes

giphy-3

13 Likes

Yeah that’s one of the worst things about this kind of mess; as it drags on it gets exponentially harder to resolve.

15 Likes

Plastic bags could be used to keep your shoes dry (although they wouldn’t help with warmth unless you stuffed them with newspaper or some other insulating material) and could be used to contain #2. Plus they wouldn’t take up much space in your trunk.

7 Likes

This is why everyone needs an emergency bag, and blankets in their vehicle.

8 Likes

U.S. Sen. for Virginia Tim Kaine said he was caught in the extreme gridlock.

Nope… not gonna comment. Too easy.

And water bottles, energy bars (replace them each year) along with , gardening boots, extra socks and extra sweatshirt.

8 Likes

My rule for snow or icing for the last 11 years: if it snows, I don’t goes.

Stay home. You won’t have these problems.

8 Likes

eta: Uber paid him back.

8 Likes

Some OMNI readers may recall this short story by John Keefauver, titled The Great Moveway Jam. Thousands of vehicles stuck for 14 months in the world’s largest traffic jam. The authority’s solution: Wall in the freeway then send in hundreds of helicopters to drop wet cement on everything and everyone. Fresh freeway. No jam.

2 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

2 Likes

That’s nothing compared to what the Tenth Doctor and Martha faced in the season 3 episode Gridlock. [The 13th picture in the photo gallery is of David Tennant holding a kitten in case you need more of an excuse to click the link.]

5 Likes

Did that work?

2 Likes

And a shovel, a bag of kitty litter, those handwarmer packets hunters use, snacks and way more water than you should reasonably need for a 2 hour trip. Oh, also a roll of paper towels and a couple rolls of toilet paper.

If anyone from a warm state has ever wondered who the heck those car cargo organizers are for, it’s us in the snowlands!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.