Colorado town upholds no lady boobs law because lady boobs might cause car accidents

Pretty much. But often “they” don’t get that.

Let’s all have a topleas day. Except for me, I’ll be in my tweeds.

3 Likes

2 Likes

My dress sense is as gornless as ever!

2 Likes

Completely agree. And values are an artifact of humans. They’re subjective, IMO, as the outside universe has no innate values. We ourselves have an innate drive for agency - I think that’s what you meant, yet even that gets troublesome to assign to humans universally since some people seem driven to surrender their agency - but where and how we exercise that agency is a matter of balancing agency, which isn’t always clear and largely depends on how one see the world. For example, filling the air with smog infringes on the agency of one’s neighbors, whereas going topless doesn’t. But that’s because I find smog intolerable and bewbs harmless, which is a subjective value set. To illustrate what I mean, check out the differences in noise ordinances. There is perhaps some semi-stable standard for agency which will last longer if held out of the shorter-term decisions of a democracy - which is why I think things like Bills of Rights are useful (unless, like I do, you live in a land where corrupt oligarchs and plutocrats ignore both enshrined rights and democratic will) - but the stability argument is the furthest I’d go in saying which specific types of agency are expressions of that innate drive for agency.

Except that, of course, they make it other people’s problem. And then the rest of us either resist them or they succeed.

True, but I’d argue that if a right has any definition, it’s something others can deprive you of, or at least deprive you of exercising which is all a right really is, when you and/or allies don’t resist.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.