Colt "suspends production" of AR-15 rifles for consumers

Hog hunting does. When you have teams of hogs 20-50 in number who are destroying your crops, or your friends crops, you want to kill as many as possible. They can give birth several times a year and it does not take long for them to grow to full size. As soon as they hear the first shot they run, which is why at least in Texas you’re allowed to use suppressors, and can hunt them from helicopters.

3 Likes

And it states that the main reason for the drop is the decrease in the popularity of hunting. Respondents who identified as hunters dropped by 50%. This is why you have so little correlation between gun ownership percentages and gun murder rates by state (it may even been a negative correlation). To show the extremes, in DC, the gun ownership rate is 25.9% and there are 21.8 gun murders per 100,000 people. In Idaho, the gun ownership rate is 56.9% and there are 1.3 gun murders per 100,000 people.

That means that there is one murder for every 1,188 self-professed gun owners in DC. And one murder for every 43,769 self-professed gun owners in Idaho.

It’s a rare thing in general given how many people and guns we have.

1 Like

Don’t forget, surplus M14s would have the fun switch, which is why they never surplussed them to civilians.

If Snork means a semiauto M1A1, or even an M1 Garand, what makes them not a murdertoy if an AR15 is? While standard capacity mags differ in size, 20 vs 30 as you said, there certainly are high capacity 50 round drums available for the M14 series of firearms. And an M14 is basically a .308 caliber Garand with a detachable magazine. So what’s the difference, Snork?

No competition shooting requires that much ammo either. The only purpose of a 30 round magazine is to spray bullets indiscriminately, at people.

3 Likes

So outside of hunting there was an increased gun ownership?

1 Like

So they are murdertoys too. But their cost is far more prohibitive. One can buy a cheap AR-15 knockoff for about $700, M14’s will run about $2500-$3000 putting them out of reach for most mass murderers.

There is no reason 20-30 mags or 50 round drums should be sold either without some heavy duty regulation and licensing

2 Likes

It sounded more like they were saying that the consumer market was saturated with AR-15s and they had already made more than they were expecting to sell in the near future. This is a whole lot of nothin’, really.

This year, more than one a day.

Part of which would involve taking guns from people who aren’t legally allowed to have them. That’s something that almost never happens now (and when others intervene and hand over others’ illegally-owned guns to the police, they get arrested). This enforcement of the law is part of the “gun grab” that’s feared by those who talk about “law-abiding gun owners.” ironically.

giphy

LOL

9 Likes

And paintball. And airsoft. (although both of those require padded outfits- both will raise welts on bare skin…)

1 Like

The M14 is the military version of the M1A1 and is not sold to consumers because of their full auto capability. Also, your pricing is a bit off. The MSRP for a standard M1A1 is $1788, and they typically sell cheaper than that.

1 Like

Would you mind elaborating on that? I hear this brought up a lot. I know ferrel hogs are a huge problem and I’ve been hog hunting in overrun areas more of as a lark than expecting actual results. So I haven’t dealt with population control as a way to protect my wellbeing.

But other countries deal with this, too. Googling around for Australia, a common thing repeated is that ground shooting is generally not effective. Any effective approach requires coordination, planning, and multiple methods.

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-animals/invasive-animal-management/established-invasive-animals/integrated-feral-pig-control

3 Likes

I just looked at a Glock Shooting Sports Foundation brochure. They recommend bringing 150 rounds per shooter at their events.

Cowboy Action Shooting usually recommends 60 rounds of pistol ammo, 60 rounds of rifle ammo, and 30 rounds of shotgun ammo.

When I shot 3-gun matches I usually took 150 rounds of pistol ammo, 100 rounds of shotgun (mixed between buckshot and slugs), and 180-210 of rifle already in magazines and a couple of boxes just in case I needed to top something up. (Sometimes you drop a mag and it bends the lips, or gets dirty and it’s easier to reload another mag between stages and clean it/fix it at home)

I don’t normally shoot trap or skeet, but I seem to recall that a round is 25 targets, so you’ll need at least 25 shells, and typically we’d shoot three our four rounds in a day, so that was 75-100 shotgun shells, per person.

CMP matches require at least 30 rounds fired. They have bolt action and semi-auto matches.

What competitions are you shooting at that don’t require that much ammo?

3 Likes

My point in confronting Snork is that he is making these broad-sweeping assumptions as to the mental health of a huge group of owners based on… I am not sure what it based on. I assume that in their opinion an AR-15 capabilities are so great that only a crazy person would want so much power. Yet he says that he owns a weapon that other than a slightly lower magazine capacity, outclasses the AR-15 in almost every aspect. The bullet it shoots weighs a lot more, has a longer range, and is usually considered more accurate at range, and has a greater amount of energy being delivered to a target. They are still used today by designated marksmen and snipers in the Army.

I imagine he has an M1 - which is still splitting hairs, because other than lower capacity and a slightly slower reload time, it again has all the advantages the M14 has over an AR. It is an example of the unfruitful nature of trying to separate things into “good” and “bad”.

Opinions like this are fine. I may not agree, but at least you just state your opinion without hyperbole. The problem I have is with comments like Snorks where owners should “seek professional help”.

Although…

Actually there are several sports that require that much ammo. 3 gun, practical carbine class in USPSA, and timed steel shooting all involve courses that uses hundreds of rounds per match.

3 Likes

AR-15s and other semi automatic assault rifles are popular for culling feral hogs and other pest animals because they allow you to kill a lot of animals in a short amount of time. Before the animals scatter due to gun shots.

Its a terrible, disingenuous arguement because it boils down to “you can’t ban these things because how will people do to pigs what mass shooters do to people?”

Culling can be an important, and situationally effective approach to invasive and overpopulated animals. But without larger scale eradication or population control projects based on shit like trapping and sterilization it doesn’t do much. Because the number of animals you need to take to meaningfully push the population down over the long term is impractical. And particularly impractical for individual farmers with assault rifles.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the little swords that are carved into chess pieces. Who’s going to say that’s any less violent than the discus? Or AR-15 rifles?

2 Likes

Shooting them from the ground when they’re foraging doesn’t actually eradicate them. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how hog colonies split up.

In anycase the reason an AR or AK is so attractive as a weapon for attempting to cull hogs is because it’s supremely well engineered for mass shooting.

Most people think mass shooting is kind of fucked up. Whether pork, or long pig.

3 Likes

Which means there is a great argument for the increased regulation of the use and ownership of them. Since such uses fall out of the typical ones for rifles in general.

I am sure culling feral hogs is an act requiring some kind of licensing and is regulated somewhat with the intention of protecting the public from the inherent dangers of spraying a bunch of animals with a hail of bullets.

You want an AR-15, show us your hog culling license.

4 Likes

I don’t know what kinds of hogs they have in Australia, but in Texas the “native” hogs have interbreed with released Russian hogs to create a very aggressive, hairy, extremely aggressive, very big nuisance with no natural predators other than man.

" Two million to six million of the animals are wreaking havoc in at least 39 states and four Canadian provinces; half are in Texas, where they do some $400 million in damages annually."
-A Plague of Pigs in Texas | Science | Smithsonian Magazine

They’re such a nuisance that you no longer need a hunting license to shoot them, nor is there a season for them. They are kill on sight.

A few years ago I was involved in a large hog hunt, there were 50 or so shooters with pistols or shotguns, very well defined areas for shooting, and we killed several hundred hogs in a section ( a square mile). I assumed the farmer would be good for a while, but a few months later the hogs were back destroying the crops.

Now when I go hog hunting it’s at night, we use cameras ahead of time to pick likely areas, we use thermal sights or other night vision to see them, we use suppressors so we are not as loud to the neighbors (rifle shots carry at night, and we are polite), we’re in a stand or stands, and we use semi-auto rifles in .30 caliber with standard capacity magazines of 20-30 rounds. There are usually 2-5 of us. We try to kill every sow we can find. And we usually have to come back a few months later because you can never kill enough of the damn things. All it takes is one sow and one boar and you’ve got a liter of 8-12 popping out soon. And before they’re a year old they’re breeding.

Traps are expensive, immobile, and don’t catch very many at a time. Also the big ones can destroy them.

Poisoning is not allowed.

In West Texas where there is lots of open ground the preferred method is by helicopter as you can keep up with them as they scatter. There is at least one place in Dallas that offers helicopter hog hunting, Mr. Ds Helicopters. I am not sure where the actual hunt takes place though. Probably out west somewhere. I keep trying to get my manager to schedule that for team building, but no luck so far. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To conservatives and other white supremacists, absolutely. And it comes with a sick sexual thrill when you can wave your Freedom Penis and ejaculate hot lead into lots and lots of libturds and dark-skinned people.

4 Likes

I am pretty sure that here in Australia you can get a license to own and use tools (including weapons) for the control of specific feral animals, and that this has nothing to do with the availability of guns to the general population.

You can’t say that Joe Bloggs should be able to buy those same guns because somebody else needs them to kill pigs.

5 Likes

Let’s start up the draft again.

Application:

1. Do you own guns?
  2. If yes, report to your nearest induction center.