Columbia students and allies - a roundup of news

Surprise, surprise:

11 Likes
11 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

:person_facepalming:

Ive heard this argument in different forms many times before-- If you naive students understood the region’s history better, you wouldn’t be protesting. Indeed, you’d be on Israel’s side, against so-called “Palestinians.”

Ugh, it’s infuriating, and an attempt to distract from Israeli atrocities, for starters. I just don’t get what it is about the region’s history that’s supposed to justify land and property theft, the killing of over 30,000 people, mass starvation, and genocide. I guess I’m just naive?

13 Likes

Nope. That area of the world has been inhabited since humans were human. It has an incredibly complex demographic/religious/sociopolitical history.

NONE OF WHICH makes shooting civilians, bombing hospitals and targeting aid stations OK. It’s just a “shut up and dance” kind of argument that does not hold up to any kind of close inspection. Clinton should know better, and probably does. Which makes it worse that she is using it.

11 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

11 Likes

They’ve found a way to terrorize more universities:

9 Likes
9 Likes

At the University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, state police officers in riot gear carrying M4 carbines — the kind of weapons used in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan — and chemical-gas launchers were called in to disperse what many onlookers described as a small, peaceful group with a handful of tents. “None of these folks showed up when I lived on campus and white supremacists with tikki torches yelling ‘Jews will not replace us’ marched through campus as I hid my three kids,” Chad Wellmon, an associate professor at the university, wrote on social media.

For Real Yes GIF by ABC Network

13 Likes

ETA

ETA

[Family withdraws Trinity bursary in protest over college becoming ‘no-go zone for Jews’ – The Irish Times]

ETA

7 Likes

NYPD Assistant Chief James McCarthy receives treatment after macing himself (May 11 2024)

9 Likes

11 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

Here’s the question, though: if his administration helps resolve the crisis and bloodshed, does it become an advantage or will he be punished for that like he’s been punished for other things he’s had success with?

9 Likes
6 Likes