Could COVID-19 and a lack of sex be the reason why young people are protesting?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/30/could-covid-19-and-a-lack-of-sex-be-the-reason-why-young-people-are-protesting.html

8 Likes

I seem to recall American conservatives opining that the college student protests of the 1960s had something to do with all those members of the free love movement having too much sex.

42 Likes

Maybe they’re actually ok with the sex, but not with the “love” part.

12 Likes

I suspect that the amount of sex is more or less irrelevant; so long as we can agree that being against the policy preferences of people who matter is a psychiatric problem rather than a political position.

22 Likes

22 Likes

NYU professor Scott Galloway reiterated that actually, the kids are all just way too horny right now, which is why they’re not content to sit back while tens of thousands of people are being killed in the Gaza Strip.

Hey, Scott! –

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF

27 Likes

I don’t see why protesting the actual, very protestable war they are protesting isn’t thing enough to protest, and we’re looking for fantasyland shit.

45 Likes

Who gives a rat’s behind what an NYU marketing prof thinks?

Stick to rampant consumerism dude not the sex lives of students and far fetched theories of why people protest.

26 Likes

Right?

Can we just get a black scrim installed to block the view of this guy?

25 Likes

I guess it is getting very hard to say the thing they’re protesting doesn’t deserve it, so people need to invent any other reason to dismiss the protesters. Because of course very serious people know progressives are always doing it wrong. :face_exhaling:

22 Likes

It’s been pretty clear where the NY Post stands on the dismissal of student protestors:

22 Likes

“Sometimes protests against genocide are just protests against genocide, you dumbasses!”
-Sigmund Freud, probably

28 Likes

Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

12 Likes

Oh no, it’s George Soros again!

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

21 Likes

The kids aren’t having sex with conservatives. Which colors your view, posties.

22 Likes

There’s no question that the pandemic experience had a profound effect on the cohort currently in college. That doesn’t mean that their protests are not just or that they’re somehow deluded. It does mean that their worldview was shaped by this formative experience, just as anyone’s worldview is shaped by the experiences of their formative years. It’s not a stretch to say that feelings of frustration and isolation experienced during the pandemic have worked their way into the rage and community of protest.

8 Likes

Why does all the media and half the comments I see online seem to be searching for some rational, beyond killing civilians is bad? Being able to draw a distinction between Hamas and Palestinians doesn’t make someone antisemitic.

20 Likes

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me but what do I know. Were the anti-apartheid student protestors in 1985 also sexually frustrated? Why are we giving these charlatans more of a platform?

10 Likes

Exactly.

5 Likes

This is a clear application of Betteridge’s Law of headlines.

5 Likes